Author, Unknown

One of the things I joust with is how much of my Self to reveal here in these posts. I tend to err on the side of, ‘more is OK but not too much’, but the trick is determining where that boundary sits at any given moment.

This particular post is one I’ve started over and over and not really gotten anywhere with it that I’m satisfied with. (which is why I haven’t posted anything for a bit too long for me to be comfortable with)

Not that I didn’t want to post something but right now it’s a fragmented jumble of thoughts and impressions … each of which is probably worthy of a post in itself.

… never-the-less …

I decided just to wrestle them into some sort of coherent order and leave them as is.

-oOo-

Everywhere I look the snow is so much deeper than I ever could’ve imagined this time last year.

Oi vey! This time last year … we were up to our necks in packing … Mrs Widds had slipped in a wet wooden board and hurt her back something fierce … rain, non-stop, pretty much, since October of 2021 … all I wanted was for the packing to be over, and the rain to stop.

It did stop, but not until we left the Lower Mainland with its failing rainforest climate, speaking both latitudinally and elevation-erly, and our little cottage on an island in the middle of a lake, behind us.

-oOo-

I’m not … I was going to say, ‘I’m not myself these days’, but that’s not true. I’m myself, of course, who else would I be? But the self I am, the Self I’ve become over the last year, isn’t someone who I recognise, who I’m familiar with.

I thought that a bit odd.

Here I am, coming up on 65 this September and I have less of an idea of who I am than in any decade previously … except perhaps my first one. I was an Innocent then, and had no need of descriptors.

-oOo-

I woke up the other morning and it was March!!! When the bloody hell did that happen?

We’re still getting snow up the wazoo, it’s still in the double digits below freezing at night, and some days too, but mostly the days are longer and I feel as though I might venture out from my coocoon … any day now … perhaps.

This is a bit of a compilation of snippets I’ve taken over the last couple of weeks …

-oOo-

If you’re interested in why your weather is going bat-shit bonkers all the time, this might be the website for you. It’s called ‘Severe Weather Europe’, and they deal with the weather patterns mostly from an entire northern hemisphere perspective, with occasional forays below the equator.

I find the posts well written and well researched, (I feel smarter just mentioning them here in this post) and understandable, which is to say they’re not enamoured of the ‘sound’ of their own voices.

This is their latest post on the why’s and wherefore’s of the arctic blasts about to roll over North America and western Europe this month.

Any information we can gather to help us plan ahead in these uncertain times is useful, I think.

-oOo-

Perhaps this is what I might do for the next while. Start a post and add anything that might occur to me, and when it’s full, (whatever that means in the moment) post it.

35 comments on “Author, Unknown

1. Sounds good to me, Widds. Confusion seems to be the norm lately, as I have no idea what or why I am doing it. But I reserve the right to keep on doing it. Just in case, right?

2. I need to do the same – I keep starting posts when I have an idea, and then just letting them sit there as drafts with little content.

It’s rather liberating. 🙂

• Excellent point.

My biggest problem has been that I thought I had the tax problem within inches of solved – and now it’s stuck in the spouse’s brain but he says it’s easier for him than for me.

I need to focus on the new everything – computer, Scrivener, graphics, novel – while expecting to be interrupted any minute.

I’ll be fine – I’m going to treat the interruption as ‘in the future’, because it is – and just get moving.

You’re right – letting go of assumptions IS liberating. Just watch out for the splash.

How’s the snow treating you two?

3. That is some snow – with nice steady panning in the video.

I look out from any window or door in the house and there are simply meters of the stuff, everywhere … boggles my mind, it does. 😀 I wonder how I’ll feel about it all next winter. 🙂

• Lee McAulay says:

The problem with writing about the weather is that where you are has rather a lot of snow, so every post for about six months will be: wowee snow; oh, more snow; hmph yet more snow; argh sick of this F-ing snow; etc.
        I was stuck for something to post tomorrow, then I dug out a word-meander from a couple of years back and added some nice artwork from talented artists found online; not every post has to be a showstopper…

Heh, exactly … although I don’t think I’ll get to the ‘fuck snow’ bit. How I’ll feel about it all this time next year is a horse of an entirely different kettle of kittens. 🙂

4. quiall says:

Those were the winters of my childhood. I am so over them! We’re not getting much snow here in southern Ontario and I’m absolutely fine with that. I think this time of year we are all out of sorts. Winter is almost over but not quite and spring is almost here but not quite. I guess I’ll just have another cup of tea…

5. Suzanne says:

These are strange times – you describe it well. So much is changing including ourselves. For me, the person I thought I was is no longer who I seem to be but then who I seem to be is changing too. 🙂

6. This has been a long winter. Even here in Victoria spring hasn’t really arrived. I can’t believe how much snow you guys have, and I lived in PG! (Mind you, that was almost 60 years ago (!). I do remember a lot of snow, but can’t recall if it lasted ’til March.

7. TanGental says:

Go for it. Who needs themes?

8. selizabryangmailcom says:

The snow video is amazing, too. I’ve never seen snow drifts like that, even in NYC, but I missed the worst winters there with unplanned and fantastic timing, lol.
    And at least Mrs. Widds actually slipped on something first.
    Half a year ago, all I did was bend forward slightly–not more than 1/4 forward–and something went ZING and my back was out. FROM BENDING FORWARD. SLIGHTLY. And I don’t even HAVE back problems.
    So I’m glad she’s all healed, but tell her my sad tale, and she’ll feel even BETTER, haha

9. acflory says:

Our 3rd La Nina is officially over so maybe the weather will go back to something approaching normal for a while. Or maybe not. Perhaps this is the new normal we have to live with?
    I suspect we’re all feeling a bit betwixt and between so your posts will fit right in. -hugs-

10. Fairy Qu33n says:

I’ve seen yiur videos and there’s so much snow 😯😯😯 Here in Italy, I’m from Italy, it’s alrrady Spring and all flowers are so beautiful 😁

11. Lee McAulay says:

That’s a great link, thanks – always handy to know when the weather gods are going to blast us with some late frost.
    I’m with you on the how-much-to-share editing on blog posts. My site is for promoting my books, showing my writing style and how what I think about things influences my writing, but nobody needs to know about my favourite foods or my latest garden bling. NO, really. 🙂

My blog is more about connecting with people I’ve met around the interwebs, whose posts I read and comment on and who comment on mine … it’s about the level of every-day social interaction I want. Some people have been with me from the beginning, which is astounding and wonderful when you think about it. 🙂

P.S. You’re welcome about the site … I love stuff like that. Information, accurate information, is like cold-pressed latinum these days. 🙂

12. Fairy Qu33n says:

Now it’s spring and all these scents, the warmth of the sun, make you feel alive but also confused. But don’t worry, it’s nice to let everything flow naturally. None of us can always be the same every day. 😁