Mrs Widds Bakes: Pumpkin Pie

As promised.

This is the recipe for just the filling, which is the most important part. The pie shell is (mostly) just to keep the filling from glooping all over your oven while it bakes.

Mind you, Mrs Widds pastry is spectacular all by itself, but, if you’re not a pastry person, or if you don’t have a Mrs Widds of your very own, a store-bought pie shell will suffice. (although, now that I read it, this recipe calls for an unbaked pie shell – I have no idea if such a creature exists in stores. You’re on your own there)

Herewith be the magic recipe book … (it’s been around the block a few times)

Published in 1960! I'm only two years older than this book. How wonderful is that!!!

Published in 1960! I’m only two years older than this book. How wonderful is that!!!

Can you smell that tantalising aroma from there?

Can you smell that tantalising aroma from there?

Pumpkin Pie filling:

1 1/2 cups of canned or mashed cooked pumpkin (we repurpose our Halloween pumpkin and once it’s all nice and cooked and mushy we freeze it in freezer bags with about 2 cups per bag)

3/4 cups of sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 to 1 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/2 to 1 teaspoon of ginger

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cloves

3 slightly beaten eggs

1 to 1 1/4 cups milk

1 6oz can (2/3 cup) of evaporated milk

1 9″ (22cm) unbaked pastry shell

Thoroughly combine pumpkin, sugar, salt, and spices.

Blend in eggs, milk, and evaporated milk.

Pour the mixture into the pastry shell. (crimp the edges high – filling is generous)

Bake at 400Β°F for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes out clean.

Cool.

Eat.

Go back for seconds.

Possibly thirds.

As you become familiar with the recipe you can adjust the sugar and spices to taste, and if you want any of the other recipes on the page just enlarge the picture.

34 comments on “Mrs Widds Bakes: Pumpkin Pie

1. Sue Vincent says:

Always the best kind of recipe books… the ones now melded with the magic they produce…

2. bone&silver says:

Sounds (& almost smells) so yummy! I just used the last of my homegrown pumpkins to make soup- nutmeg is the winning touch πŸ™‚

3. I’ve just sent this link to The Culinary Queen. πŸ™‚

4. Wonderful πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹ I can feel the smell πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

5. quiall says:

I am salivating first thing is the morning!!! Do you deliver? hahaha Covid humour, sick.

6. Oh yum! Well loved cookbooks are the best.

7. acflory says:

Don’t shoot me, but I can’t imagine eating a pumpkin as a ‘sweet’. It’s not a ‘thing’ here, but I do love the pic of the cookbook. Well loved books always make me smile, and Mrs Widds cookbook is obviously a member of the family.

You remain unshooted. : ) … It was never a thing for me either – just something those weird North Americans did!

• acflory says:

-snort- Yes? πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ I’ve only been to the US once but I was really baffled by how sweet everything tasted, even something as savoury as scrambled eggs. I suppose we’re more into savoury here or something. Meat pies are the national dish after all. πŸ˜‰

8. Leif Price says:

Wonderful! Can’t wait to give these a try!

9. I like what you said “This recipe has been used so many times the page actually smells like pumpkin pie …”
    Maybe one day cook books will come with a tab you can lift to smell and taste?