The Epitome of, ‘If It Ain’t Broke’, Has Finally Arrived

Yes folks, the ‘new and improved’ WordPress block editor has finally been imposed on my dashboard. (I’m just very glad I got my last post published before they did the deed)

I will now go forth and joust with this new beast until I get it to work how I want it to work. (because sooner or later it will be the one we’ll all have to be using) I did say at the beginning of this whole affair, and after initially checking it out, that I would wait until this moment to go anywhere near it … and here I am.

In the meantime, there are still a couple of workarounds out there that will enable me to post as I normally do while I figure this shit out.

Chris, at The Story Reading Ape has a post up that spells it out. Go there, and if you need ’em, see if the workarounds work for you.

2020 is the year the entire world had to change what had gone before. I guess WordPress didn’t want to be left out.

I leave you with the immortal words of this cute kitten I found in my ‘Clip Art’ file …

UPDATE: Beetlepete has some more info on workarounds

41 comments on “The Epitome of, ‘If It Ain’t Broke’, Has Finally Arrived

1. selizabryangmailcom says:

Ooh. Thanks so much for the links! I somehow fumbled my way back to “classic” the last post I did but I guess that won’t last forever. It’s so weird. Why not do a poll and find out if users want a different setup instead of just deciding to change it out of the blue? So weird. This world is so weird, the way it operates!

2. Why did I know what your subject would be when I saw the title?

3. jenanita01 says:

I have been using the new editor for a while now, and haven’t been carted off to the funny farm yet! It takes some getting used to, but then so much has changed lately, so I just grit my teeth and get on with it. For all you classic lovers, there is a classic block you can use instead, so not all doom and gloom.
    And dare I say it… some of the new features are actually attractive and fun to use!

4. Oh, poop. I haven’t blogged for a long time, but this will make me even less likely to do so. Argh.

5. I kept going back and forward between the 2, and love the block one on my phone.

6. I hate the block editor too. It’s clunky and irritating and it takes me ten times as long to get anything done because it’s not intuitive where they’ve moved the common tools. Aggravating. Good luck and strength!

I have yet to come across anyone who went, ‘ooh, ahh, I love this,’ when they first came across it. At most it’s been, ‘well, I don’t have any choice so I better figure it out’.

7. I think they got me when they got you. Why? Why? I’m struggling.
    I read a tutorial today and will watch one on youtube. Sigh.

8. Sean says:

The more things change…? I guess I can look forward to learning how to use the new editor. Luckily my posts consist entirely of me typing into the interface and adding a picture or two so not too tricky to pick up (I hope).

That’s about what mine are too … I’ve been playing with it a bit … it’s not too terrible, but incredibly clunky, and I don’t think those happy little ‘happiness engineers’ had the phrase ‘user-friendly’ in mind when designing it.

9. Steve Hurley says:

I much prefer the old editor “The Classic Editor” and will continue to use it while it is available

10. rangewriter says:

Misery loves company. I’m glad to be in good company. Sheesh.

11. inese says:

I am very unimpressed with the editor. I used to post some 30 pictures in one go, and write the story in between moving down from one picture to the other. It doesn’t work now because it takes ages.