Not Terrible

Last week’s election results means we’ll have a minority government running the country for the next bunch of years. Which as results go, wasn’t terrible, and as far as ‘damning with faint praise’ goes, ‘not terrible’ is as good as it gets.

Pollies* will have to at least pretend to consult with each other and deal with issues on more of a case-by-case basis, rather than along party lines … mostly … possibly …

About the best I could hope for really.

-oOo-

Remember my post about the daylight savings referendum here in BC coming down on the side of ‘scrap the idiocy’ with much fervour and gusto?

Yeah well, about that … The Yukon Territory, (which is the chunk of Canada that borders British Columbia to the north) also wanted to scrap DST, but, and here the clincher, Washington state,Β (and probably Oregon and CaliforniaΒ who also are in favour of scrapping it) apparently has to get a permission slip from the US federal govt. … which is, of course, too busy doing, well, we all know what they’re up to these days, to sort this mess out.

The result of all these shenanigans is that because of the policies of ANOTHER COUNTRY, we, in BC, which, not to belabor the point, is a province in a separate country from the US, will have to wait at least another year before implementing above-mentioned action.

I get that it’s the whole co-coordinating of cross-border clocks thing, but seriously, I think the titans of business and public service who will have this great calamity fall upon their shoulders, just might’ve, if they’d sculled enough Timmies* coffee, been able to weather any storm of outrageous slings and arrows that might’ve fallen upon their overburdened shoulders.

Je suis Henri … le sigh …

*Pollies – politicians

*Timmies – Tim Hortons

16 comments on “Not Terrible

1. I’ve heard all sorts of opinions by journalists and poli-sci profs about what the election really means. Opinions from “It might be OK” to “It will be a disaster.” Personally, like you, I think it’s not terrible, although it could have been better. Let’s give it a C+. I wouldn’t be surprised if permanent DST will take a while yet. After we “fall back” in a couple of weeks, I’m going to observe how dark or light it is if we were still on DST, just for my own info.

2. selizabryangmailcom says:

“When my caretakers step here, they become irate. I feel nothing.”
    LOL
    Oh, well. At least I’m in Cally, one of the forward-thinkers when it comes to arcane time adjustment practices. So I can feel a tiny little bit proud. Of something.

3. Widdershins says:

(This is in reply to selizabryan’s comment which seems to have disappeared) – Gotta love Henri’s commitment to his art. πŸ˜€

4. Eliza Waters says:

Love Henri! πŸ˜€

5. acflory says:

Oh…oh…oh…I’m laughing so much, I’m scaring /my/ cats! Merci bien. J’aime Henri!

Ahem, and I agree that minority governments can actually be a good thing. Commiserations on the daylight savings.

6. Jen Mason-Black says:

I’m so sorry about the DST mire. If it were possible, I would recommend simply closing the door and leaving us out in the cold, as you would with any other unwelcome neighbor. I wish you the best of luck with your minority government. Communication across party lines–what a lovely idea!

It’s not that simple though, is it? πŸ™‚ … the ones who will get left out in the cold are the ones who deserve it the least.
      I’m not sure if the minority is simply staving off the inevitable, or giving us enough of a breathing space to find workable ways to engage with the consequences of the environmental changes we’re smack-bang in the middle of … either way – interesting times. πŸ™‚

7. In the last election (or the one before it), the majority of CA voters said they wanted DST permanently. Yuck. But, here we are with clocks changed back an hour again. I’d like it if we simply stayed at standard time.