The Idiocy Of Daylight Saving Might Just End (but don’t hold your breath)

Earlier this year our province (British Columbia, Canada) sent out an online survey with a few questions regarding whether to ‘fall back/spring forward’, or not.

The whole ‘daylight savings’ thing is a bit nonsensical really. No daylight is ‘saved’ nor spent, it’s just that us humans have the opportunity to call the exact same 24 hours in a day, (23 hours, 56 minutes, and 4 seconds, actually) by different names and adjust our behaviours accordingly.

It was originally touted by, captains of industry who wanted to squeeze more work out of their employees, certain lads who wanted more ‘daylight’ to enjoy that final round of golf before retiring to the clubhouse for tiffin, and some bloke who got into a snit because he discovered the hoi polloi of London were indulging in summer siestas. (this is me, paraphrasing what Wikipediaย has to say)

It was not to be borne, I tell you! … something Had To Be Done!

And ‘done’ it was. Sad to say it was done here in Canada first. Not on my side of the Rockies I hasten to add, but in Ontario in 1908.

During the Great (and Horrible) War, a whole lot more countries imbibed, but most of them unimbibed soon after the leaders of the participating countries finally decided enough damage had been done and signed the Armistice.

Some countries, and states/provinces within countries, around the world did not.

Time Zone Map on Wikipedia by TimeZonesBoy - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0

Light grey – used to but don’t anymore Dark grey – never did … Time Zone Map on Wikipedia by TimeZonesBoy – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0

So, back to our survey … first of all, nearly 12 times the usual number of people responded, that tells you something right there … and 93% of us want to do away with daylight savings. (as reported by CBC)

Our glorious leader (Premier John Horgan)ย will now go forth and, ‘… make a final decision about how to move forward …’ (emphasis mine)

Seems kinda obvious to me, but what do I know, I’m not a politician.

35 comments on “The Idiocy Of Daylight Saving Might Just End (but don’t hold your breath)

1. Dawn Bonanno says:

I’m all over this. Twice a year, we needlessly deal with a sudden and dangerous shift in our body clocks. It’s disorienting and stressful. Not to mention, ALL OF A SUDDEN it’s dark in the morning and damn if that isn’t hard to tell your body, yeah, we really are supposed to get up now. Never mind all the kids it screws up.

2. I have to disagree with you, Widdershins. For those of us who work until 5 p.m., that extra hour gives us daylight after work that we wouldn’t otherwise have. I HATE leaving work in the dark. I’d stay with DST all year round if I could. I’m fine with not changing, but stick with DST! The hour difference doesn’t take that long to adjust to, and I’m so much happier with time in the evenings to do things in daylight.

3. tidalscribe says:

I quite like changing the clocks, but it does play havok with your brain when arrnaging to Facetime with USA and Australia.

They kept pushing the summertime change later and the wintertime change earlier, until it’s really ridiculous now. I’m all for sticking with the daylight one we’re on now and not changing it at all in a couple of months. It’ll be interesting to see if our esteemed government can move that fast though.

• Exactly! Why bother changing for just 4 months out of 12? Permanent DST should work well, if it can get done. I just wonder whether BC will go it alone if the US states don’t get approval from their federal gov’t. Saskatchewan doesn’t change back and forth, but I think they’re on Standard Time permanently. Then there’s Alberta…

4. acflory says:

Gods…I wish someone would have the guts to do the same here in Australia! I hate and loathe daylight saving. Sadly, no one’s ever asked me. -sigh-

5. catdownunder says:

I do so wish they would get rid of this nonsense here as well. It is absolutely ridiculous – kids are coming out of school in the hottest part of the day (around 3pm). People don’t actually use the time in the evenings to be outside (which is why they claim they want it). They are in – eating and watching the goggle box.

In summertime it’s still hot at 9pm so, as you say, no-one wants to go out then anyway. I just hope they decide to leave it at the current ‘summer time’ and not turn back in November.

6. Sue Vincent says:

Nature knows how to deal with seasonal changes far better than we do. I say let her do so…and we can just follow our natural cycle!

7. Ellen Hawley says:

I’ve never been bothered by daylight savings time, although I doubt I’d be bothered if it disappeared, but there was a stretch of time when US states all decided separately whether to go on it or not, and various parts of Minnesota went on at different dates, so even if people knew what time it was where they were, they didn’t necessarily know what time it would be where they were going.

Minnesota changed the system the next year. And eventually the daylight savings decision became a national instead of a state one.

8. Maybe we could follow you this time

9. Olga Godim says:

Nobody asked me – I guess I wasn’t part of that survey – but I’d say: let’s get rid of this nonsensical ‘daylight saving’. It doesn’t do any good to anyone, only disrupts people’s sleeping patterns twice a year. The only problem I could see in such a move is that of doing it in one province instead of in the whole country, or better still, on the entire continent. Otherwise, we’ll have lots of scheduling hiccups with the cross-country transportation timetables. Could you imagine the international airports the next day after some places switch to daylight savings, and some didn’t?

I think it was one of those things they didn’t really want to advertise too much just in case the response was such that they would actually have to do something about it.
      I only found our by a fluke at the last minute.

10. Last year California voters approved having daylight savings year-round. So, we’ll see what kind of public grumbles happen come the usual time to Fall back.

11. Jay says:

Ha, that does kind of seem like the easiest and most winning thing a politician could do. You NEVER get that kind of support for anything. Gosh I wish we could get rid of it.

12. selizabryangmailcom says:

WWII’s DLS needs to go. Then the US needs to get rid of the electoral college, which is ancient and pointless (except for the GOP).
    For some reason, Arizona doesn’t use DLS. Not sure how THEY got out of it! But they’re fine, they haven’t imploded or disappeared!
    Weirdly, though, I just looked it up and it says the Navajo Nation, located in Arizona, DOES still use DLS! Huh?! Who’d a thunk it?!

13. inese says:

I do hope it ends. We had enough of this.

14. Steve Hurley says:

Great post !

Funny enough I am writing two post about exactly the same topic!!

It is interesting to note that 90% of the Earth’s 7.75 billion people live in an area which does not observe DST

Steve