Now that Prelude is out in the stratosphere, doing it’s own thing, I’ve been concentrating on my next great adventure.
This is a fanciful cover I did a while back for it, even before I began Prelude actually. I used this wonderful software called Pulp-O-mizer, and it creates the most wonderful ‘golden-age’ pulp fiction science fiction covers. It’s not for commercial use but it makes a wonderful placeholder to wrap around my new work until I finish the story and have a clearer idea of what the true cover will look like;
I’ve had this ratty old spiral-bound notebook that I use as my writing workbook for, (first entry is dated, 4th March 2010, and still going strong) so, for a long time, and it’s starting to show its age.
I have a few journals going, for all sorts of aspects of my life. They help keep my thoughts organized on the task at hand, otherwise I’d be haring off in a gazillion different directions.
My writing journal is probably the simplest of them all. It’s just an abbreviated list of what writerly things I want to achieve in a day, and whether I’ve managed to achieve them, with a brief note or two if appropriate – hence it’s longevity.
But opening and closing a spiral-bound notebook over three thousand times has a price, and this is the price …
I thought it needed a new cover too, so I decided to do a two-fer upgrade.
But how was I supposed to reattach the separated bit of the cover inside the spiral to the rest of it and still have it open and close?
First I measured the distance between the spirals. Turns out they’re exactly 8mm apart.
I had some business-card-weight sheets of paper stashed away, (we don’t throw away anything in this household!) that I measured up and cut into strips like this ….
Then, starting on the back cover, I carefully, and very patiently threaded the strip inside the spiral and pulled it in-between each turn of the wire spiral, and glued it in place with some PVA glue, thusly …
Having practiced on the back cover, I turned my attention to the front …
And here she is, all shiny and refurbished, albeit with well-worn pages within.
It seems that this week I’m all about D.I.Y. because I have a post up on my Widds The Shaman blog about making salves.