At What Point

At what point, I wonder did humans killing humans become honorable, at least from the killers point of view?

The culture from which the killers arise are lionized and call them heroes, but they are killers none-the-less.

They think themselves protectors, the preservers of their way of life, but what is preserved in the slaughter and the blood and the broken bodies that breathe no more?

The world has heard of yet another angry, frightened, man choosing to murder … it was not a ‘mass-shooting’ … it was murder, just as they all are, no matter what the socially acceptable ‘objective’ phrase of the day is.

I find in my heart no compassion for the murderer. He made his choice. No compassion for the belief systems he espoused, or the culture that encouraged the demonization of the ‘other’. That too is a choice.

This is my choice. To reject them utterly. To condemn their enablers. To refuse the fence-sitters the luxury of their ambivalence. To deny them any place in my life, in my heart, in my world.

44 comments on “At What Point

1. jenanita01 says:

There can be no words, no excuses, no reason for such senseless killing…

2. wise women says:

Powerfully said! thank you

3. For the most pitiful of reasons: they threatened his white male privilege.

4. Suzanne says:

I heard there were four people involved in the NZ shooting – one was an Australian from Grafton. It’s time we took a long deep look at ourselves and values the media and some Australian politicians are promoting.

5. Unbelievably tragic. I also have no sympathy.

6. These pathological types flourish in dark corners of the internet, it seems. The fact that the guy was live-streaming the murders is horrifying.

7. Thank you for your thoughts, well expressed and so true.

Right now my rage is simmering, but it’s not going away anytime soon … I don’t know what it was about this particular murderous destruction of life that got me going. Living next door to the US, I hear about another one almost every week.

• I don’t know why all these terrible things are happening either. I keep picturing my childhood city and exactly where with the murderous destruction took place………crying tears of sadness 😦

8. Adele Marie says:

I totally agree it is murder no matter how they wrap it up. A killer is a killer regardless of cause/religion.

9. selizabryangmailcom says:

At least it seems like people are beginning to call the white male rampages “terrorism” instead of just “Oh, it was a lone wolf thing,” or an “anomaly.” No, it’s terrorism, just like any other kind of terrorism.

For Americans, at least, the whole “right to bear arms” and the clamoring of those who don’t want that right altered or removed in any way whatsoever is based on a misunderstanding of the Constitution to begin with, since the Second Amendment goes like this: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Where’s the militia? Where’s the regulation? It’s just single men raging against a rapidly changing world and unable and/or unwilling to come to terms with it. Of course, the “president’s” xenophobia and love of violence has done wonders for stirring up the delusional and misguided sense of righteousness of the crazies.

10. Jay says:

It’s disgusting and disheartening.

11. Well said, Widders. I feel like we’ve gotten to the point where we need to draw the line in the sand. If the enablers want to be on the other side, so be it. They’ve no excuse.

12. theburningheart says:

It’s a shame, we have not learnt to be tolerant, after so many wars, crimes and inhumanity committed in the name of some despicable ideology, through the History of Humanity.

13. A wonderful well thought out post
    The Science Geek

14. inesephoto says:

There are cultures which don’t see killing the way we do. I have been in University with such people so I know what I am talking about. Heard ‘i will stab you’ on many occasions. I was a student in a multinational University. Have learned plenty of things about the world.

15. inesephoto says:

Don’t see my comment. Oh well πŸ™‚