Three Things That Happened On Monday

Last year I had a flu shot for the first time, not because I’d reached a ‘certain age’ but because the year before I’d managed to spend most of my time being in the throes of, or recovering from, lung and phlegm related lurgys. All I had to go out my front door and I’d catch every virus within a hundred kilometer radius. For the whole of last winter or all this year, nary a lurgy raised it’s ugly head, so not wanting to break my winning streak I decided it was time to renew my subscription.

Monday was the day I’d picked to do the deed.

At 3am on Monday morning a migraine woke me up. Thankfully it wasn’t a skull-crushing galaxy-buster, as they usually tend to be, and once some painkillers kicked in I managed to convince myself to go back to sleep. I felt a little delicate when I woke up at the crack of 10.30am but not enough to scuttle my plans.

My arm ached a moderate amount after the flu shot so I ambled off to the Tim Hortons coffee shop just around the corner from my doctors office for a restorative french vanilla coffee and some timbits. (timbits are the tasty bits they cut out of the center of doughnuts)

Whilst chomping on the gooey wonderfulness at the center of a timbit, I thought I felt the crown on one of my teeth wobble. By my third timbit I knew without a doubt the crown was loose. Having already swallowed a crown from this very tooth some years back, I reluctantly put my remaining timbits and coffee aside and glanced up at my dentists office which happened to be just across the parking lot. I was starting to feel a little migraine-hangover headachy and my arm hurt. None-the-less, and with minimal sighing, I called upon my dentist, and half an hour later I was sitting in his chair listening to him mutter softly, “Oh darn,” behind me.  The dear man actually said ‘oh darn!’

This tooth had been troublesome off and on, since it’s root-canal ten years ago, and it turned out to be cracked right down to the roots of its little, roots. It was time for it to head off to the Great Tooth Retirement Home In The Sky.

A single memory of the ensuing ten minutes that is now burned indelibly into my psyche was of my ‘oh darn’ dentist taking to my poor tooth with a, and I kid you not, hammer and chisel!

There you have it, all in the space of a few hours, a migraine, a pain-in-the-arm flu shot, and an emergency second-from-the-back-on-the-bottom tooth extraction.

It wasn’t until this evening (2am Wednesday morning actually) that I put it together. Nothing happens on one … well, I call ‘em, Realms of Awareness – physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual – that isn’t reflected on the others. These three things were definitely physical, but what they were mirroring was the chaos that’s created at the change of the seasons.

UPDATE: Before you read any further, I realised this morning that it’s Samhain, NOT Bealtaine … Note To Self: It’s probably not a good idea to post, a) in the middle of the night, and b) when the effects of painkillers haven’t quite worn off.

Here in the northern hemisphere, Autumn is ending. Bealtaine (Beltane or Hallowe’en) marks the beginning of Winter, and when things end in order to make way for something new to begin, there is always chaos. (no matter how hard we mortals try to avoid it) Sometimes it’s a genteel chaos and sometimes it’s of the hammer-and-chisel-to-your-tooth variety.

Now that I’ve had my ‘chaos’, and all things being equal, (ha!) it just might be smooth sailing for a while.

I’m off to bed with a hot water bottle for my arm and another one for my face … and I might just have another one for my feet.

45 comments on “Three Things That Happened On Monday

1. Ralph says:

Oh dear ! These things seem to come in threes, don’t they Widdershins ? I hope Tuesday and the rest of the week is so much better for you my friend. 🙂

2. TanGental says:

Hot water bottles are definitely better in threes

3. tidalscribe says:

i’ve never heard of timbits, but I know I would love them. Loose crowns always end in disaster for royals and teeth alike.

4. Jay says:

Ooof, I hope you’ve had your blows for a while! Rest well.

Ah! Timbits is a new word to me; I grew up calling them donut holes. (And Dunkin Donuts sells them as Munchkins now.)

Sorry to hear about your chaos. I hope things settle down for the winter.

I think Tim Hortons appropriated the concept … whetever they’re called, they’re scrumptious and one can virtuously tell oneself that one hasn’t indulged in a doughnut at all, just the ‘hole’. 😀
      … … also, the season is Samhain, not Bealtaine … post is now ‘updated’ 😀

6. Thank you for ‘lurgy.’ So apt.

I hope the flu shot helps – it is supposed to make the flu possibly less hard on you if you catch it anyway; I think that happened to me last year.

I had a huge reaction to the shot this year, even bigger than last years’, so I may have to reconsider having the extra-strong version they give us older people – if the older person is also fragile, does it still make sense? Aren’t many old people fragile, too?

OTOH, the reaction to the shot was over in less than 48 hours, and the flu can last a lot longer than that, and make you quite miserable.

The other disaster I can only sympathize with. Teeth don’t want to come out! I had a ‘quick extraction’ promise myself once (don’t worry – that tooth only has one root), but it took them an hour and a half, and I wish I hadn’t agreed, as it wasn’t damaged, just slightly inconvenient.

Oh, well. The things I’ve learned the hard way…

You’re welcome to the Dreaded Lurgy 🙂 … it’s such an apt descriptor, I think. 😀

Oh yes, I too have a very long list of ‘hard way’ lessons. You’d think we’d learn, wouldn’t you! 😀

… … also, the season is Samhain, not Bealtaine … post is now ‘updated’ 😀

P.S. how’s your new abode working out these days?

• Some idioms even SOUND perfect.

Abode is doing quite well, which is good because we’ve literally signed on for the rest of our lives, and are hoping that will be a long time. I’m writing; that’s what matters to me, and why I left NJ and everything behind.

Not that everything was that much – the kids are flown far away (one’s in SF; we’ll see her Friday!), and the friends I had were seldom seen – people kind of lose track of you when you’re sick, and don’t realize (or care to be reminded) how long it’s been since you’ve even talked to each other.

This is way better.

7. Olga Godim says:

Oh, poor you. I hope you feel better already. Last time I had a flu shot a few years ago, my arm was red and swollen for a week. I never repeated the deed since.

I don’t think the soft tissue in our arms appreciate the gesture as much as our respiratory system. 😀 … … also, the season is Samhain, not Bealtaine … post is now ‘updated’ 😀

8. jenanita01 says:

Should be plain sailing, now you have had the three part chaos, so a pain/flu free winter ahead?

9. Suzanne says:

I know what you meann about illlnesses right now having some connection to the chaos in the larger world. Like you my current illness was a threesome – migraine to severe gastrrro to pneumonia. Severe dehyddration and the pneumonia took me to hospital. Now I am home and still healing the pneumonia. Yesterday I founnd a book I picked up in an op shop and never read. It is by the Medical Intuitive Caroline Myss and offers an entirely different take on healing. In her thinking being connected to world thought and external energies and getting sick as a result is entirely plausible. The trick is to detach and transcend the fears of the group – she calls them tribal fears. A big ask but I am finding some og her affirmations are really helping me.

Especially right now. There’s so much fear-based energy floating around, both locally and globally, that it’s almost self-sustaining … … also, the season is Samhain, not Bealtaine … post is now ‘updated’ 😀

10. This is surely more scientific proof of the time-honoured ‘Misfortune comes in threes’ theory.

11. Aww, man! That tooth stuff sucks! Glad you got it resolved. I hope the headache and arm owie feel better quickly.

12. catdownunder says:

Three hot water bottles, panadol (or whatever), and SLEEP! I hope you got all three.

13. I had my first flu shot yesterday, and today I feel foggy. 😦 Anyway, hope everything gets better soon!

It takes a bit of time to get over ’em, but worth it in the end that’s for sure. My arm doesn’t ache much today (Thursday), but I can really feel every muscle, bone and tooth on the left side of my face. Thank goodness for hot water bottles. 😀

14. Admin says:

I haven’t had a flu shot in years, but I’ve been affected by lurgy of various forms too, so it might be time to jump in. So sorry about your migraines. I find that mine are coming more frequently as the season changes (as you say–a bit of chaos.)

My immune system has been a bit wonky since my cancer treatment in 2013 (thyroid – I’m all better now) and after the year I had in 2017 I ran out of valid reasons not to have one … and I don’t regret it a bit, even with the sore arm. 😀

15. I’m cringing for your woes. Isn’t it weird that they come in threes? For me too. I hope your winter this year is free of the lurgys.

16. Ouch! Shudder. Things generally happen in three’s, so I think. You definitely deserve smooth sailing for the rest of the year, at least. Timbits is a cuter name than doughnut holes, which we call them. Big hugs, Widders.

Thank you … Friday morning and my face still hurts … but it’s more about what it took to get the tooth out than the actual gap in my gums … so that’s progress, I suppose. 🙂

17. Scrum_Jet says:

Sorry about the tooth. I’ve been getting a flu shot every year since I had it two years in a row and decided never again. It also feels good to know I have less chance of infecting anyone with a compromised immune system.

18. acflory says:

Ouch. That is a serious run of bad luck. I recently lost a crown as well so you have my total sympathy. Hopefully things will now settle down for the foreseeable future. :/

19. Those are days that I want to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head. Hope you’re better now.