The Missing Symbol

Scrivener has had me all hot and bothered all afternoon, which, given that it’s currently 34°C (93°F) in the shade today, is a very dangerous thing for all beings within a hundred meter radius of my Self.

No cranky feelings here!

I’m doing the ‘front bits’ for ‘Prelude’ and I wanted to insert a copyright symbol into the text. I couldn’t find it so I went on-line and asked pertinent questions … and found answers that were all for the Apple version of the Scrivener software.

I get that Scrivener was first developed in Apple-ese, and PC’s were the poor cousins who had to wait at the kiddies table until the grown-ups were sated, but  I thought we were all growed-up now.

Eventually, buried in the furthest depths of page ninety-eleven of my google search I found what I was looking for.

So, here it is, if you’re using Scrivener on a PC … first make sure your cursor is where you want the character to be on your document … and go to … Edit  > Character Map (no idea why it’s called that) then ‘select’ which character you want to use, then ‘copy’, at which point you’ll have to manually (using your keyboard) insert or paste (CTRL/V) the character where it needs to be.

Phew!

Scrivener is wonderful, but perfect it ain’t.

30 comments on “The Missing Symbol

1. Glad you found the answer to your problem! Thanks for sharing with us.

2. Probably a very bad time to say this, but you’ve made me happy to be a Mac user – again. My sympathies for your lost time.

3. That deserves a Hurrah! And a purrrrrrrrrrrrrr from Missy Molly by Golly.

4. Congratulations on negotiating the minefield.

5. jenanita01 says:

I have yet to venture into Scrivener, I did take a peak once and withdrew in shock at the complexity of it all! One of these days I hope to be brave enough to try again!

Between you and me, a lot of those ‘features’ are just wankery with funny names. 😀

Its biggest asset is that everything is one screen, my files and folders, the document I’m working on, and my notes – both the overall project ones and the ones specific to each document … and the ‘compile’ feature once all the writing’s done. 🙂

• jenanita01 says:

I have read all about it, and it does sound wonderful. I think the reason I hesitate, is that it would feel strange to me to leave my files there. I like to save them to a USB when I finish for the day. Or am I wrong?

Your files are saved at whatever destination you choose when you create a new project, the same way you do when you first save a word document … I created a ‘scrivener projects’ folder on my computer and put ’em all in there … and when I do my daily back-up to my external drive that ‘scrivener projects’ gets exported along with everything else I’m backing up. 🙂

Nope, not a good idea. Start something new and learn the program as you go … you can import text directly into Scrivener but it’s never formatted properly for me … I’m probably missing a step … I had a few headaches transferring ‘Prelude’ because I’d formatted each episode on Word then it got reformatted when I uploaded it to the WordPress editor where I did a little more editing, catching typos, etc … then I C&P the WordPress version to Scrivener!

6. Ugh. Technology. Thank goodness the internet comes through eventually.

7. colonialist says:

So holding down Alt and putting 0169 on number keys to get © doesn’t work for you?

Well. I’ll be damned! It worked!! 😀 … and on Word too!… not exactly common knowledge though because it never showed up on any of the searches I did … I’m going to print this out and stick it on my wall! … is it a bit of arcane lore known only to a select few?

• colonialist says:

Took me quite a while to find it out. At the same time I discovered how to do a proper dash — instead of the hyphen – one usually uses. Hold Alt and 0151 on number keys. — In fact it is worth memorising quite a few Alt codes to avoid having to go onto Symbols.

8. inesephoto says:

Couldn’t you just copy and paste?

9. […] speaking of learning something every day … In my previous post I bemoaned the lack of easily accessible info on inserting the ‘umble ‘©’ into a Scrivener document. Well, the always erudite […]