The Sumer Tree – 2018 Edition

As I contemplate writing this post, the sky is overcast, and the temperature is back down in the low-to-mid-teens after the giddy heights of the last few days. The Mamas and the Papas are singing ‘Monday Monday’ on my favourite interwebs music streaming channel. (AccuRadio)

Not exactly how I thought Summer Solstice was going to look like.

Most of ‘Spring’ was cold and rainy, then we had five (I counted ‘em) halcyon days of glorious balmy SPRING weather … then the gloom returned.

Most of ‘Summer’ (so far) has been gloomy and showery, then we had five (I counted ‘em) days of 30°C over-the-top sunny SUMMER weather … then the gloom returned.

I’m sensing a pattern here.

The pervading overcastness has not been kind to my gardening efforts either.

Hydrangea – gorgeous as usual, but missing at least half of her usual bloomage

Hydrangea – gorgeous as usual, but missing at least half of her usual bloomage

These lasses went from buds to blooms during the ‘5 days of Summer’

These lasses went from buds to blooms during the ‘5 days of Summer’

Putting their best foot forward under the Summer Tree

Putting their best foot forward under the Summer Tree

And as for the veggie patch …

The maters and basil are struggling

The maters and basil are struggling

In the sunniest bed in the garden, even the corn is having a hard time of it

In the sunniest bed in the garden, even the corn is having a hard time of it

Blueberries are few and far between

Blueberries are few and far between

You might think that I’d be disheartened by all of the above, and as I walked around taking these pictures my little Widderheart was indeed sinking, but then …

Rescued from the innards of a nearby compost bin, this wee lass was stuck in a basket and left to her own devices, and she thrived ... looking closer at the bin I think I see a couple of her siblings

Rescued from the innards of a nearby compost bin, this wee lass was stuck in a basket and left to her own devices, and she thrived … looking closer at the bin I think I see a couple of her siblings

So in honour of this particular and peculiar season, I give you, The Summer Tater!

-oOo-

31 comments on “The Sumer Tree – 2018 Edition

1. They may not be as lush as in past years, but thankfully the flowers continue to pop up. We’re having similar weather down here–several days of overcast (which breaks around 11 am, usually) followed by a few days of just bearable heat. Even though we have no formal water rationing, we continue to do so. Global climate is changing, whether the nonbelievers acknowledge it or not.

Yep, that’s my thought too. Which makes things very interesting for me as we ‘re always adjusting the regions we’d like to live in next. (for our ‘forever’ home) There are zones where it’s clear the prevailing climatic and weather patterns are strengthening, deserts getting dryer, rainforest-y areas getting wetter, that sort of thing, but there are also so many areas which could go either way. If nothing else it makes for some interesting research and discussions. 🙂

2. Suzanne says:

All this rain and lack of sun seems to be a global phenomenon now. Personally I think it’s the melting ice evaporating then falling as rain. Growing food.is getting tricky here too. I can grow spuds and pumpkins but all my greens are struggling. I hope you get sun soon. Our true summer was late but it went on and on when it should have been Autumn. Other parts of the country are in drought.

3. Hope your summer settles down – as ours has

4. jenanita01 says:

Personally, I think the weather is simply reflecting the overall state of the planet and is getting harder than ever to put on a cheerful face!

Climate change is finally making such an impact that even the thickest blockheads are starting to take notice. Not that they’ll do much, but at least we can hope they’ll (eventually) get out of the way of those who are actively evolving how we are to live with it.
      As for the political situations, a pox on all their houses, I say.

5. Roda says:

Your hydrangeas are so lovely!

6. What a glorious day. You knew we’d want to hear Monday Monday after that mention!

7. Summer has been a bit on the cool side, but what a glorious spring. Your hydrangea is beautiful. And you actually have a tomato! Happy Summer.

8. Janet Gogerty says:

Your hydrangea is ahead of ours, but we have had hot weather and my water butts are all empty. …Love the song.

Hi, Janet. Welcome to my little corner of the interwebz. 🙂 … whereabouts on our little blue planet are you?
      One of my favourite Mamas and Papas songs! 🙂

9. I’ve been considering alternate locations too, if only in a theoretical, what-if way. Maybe Prince Rupert? (North coast of British Columbia). I like your weather parameters, except I’d add more clouds (I must be part vampire) and rain one day per week. Agreed on no mosquitoes, though (so maybe I don’t have bloodsucker ancestry). 😀

10. acflory says:

Loved your garden pics and ADORED the video clip..plus the one with Cass Elliot and John Denver…and then Bette Midler..plus… -cough-

11. Roxie says:

i love garden tours! lovely, and if that’s a small crop of blueberries, i look forward to mine coming around, as right now they’re establishing themselves as yearlings. wicker chair is a fab addition, for your plant perch!

12. Jay says:

Hydrangeas are the only thing we can grow in our overly sunny, clay-for-earth backyard. Every year we cut them down to nothing, and by June they are overwhelming their beds once again.

13. Widdershins says: