New Privacy Stuff

Has the GDPR – confusticated you yet?

Has the GDPR – confusticated you yet?

The GDPR – General Data Protection Regulation – comes into effect in the EU on the 25th May.

You might think the EU doesn’t affect you (if you’re not in the EU that is) but our readers are scattered all over the globe, and that’s just the ones we know about. Blogging really is a global activity. So yeah, is affects us all, or it will at some point in the future.

WordPress is updating their privacy policies ‘soon’ so we should see some notification about that ‘soon’-ish, if we’re using WordPress. I can only presume other blogging platforms are doing something similar.

This is the latest from WP … ‘New privacy features and updated policies.’

I highly recommend a good read of Nicholas Rossis’ post on the subject. He explains the nuts-n-bolts of the current state of affairs. Go, Nicholas!

With his permission I’ve included these two paragraphs that he’s using on his own blog, which I’m going to add to my ‘About Me’ page. They’ll stay there until WordPress comes through with the goods. (or not) Or I find any updated information around the interwebz. (which I’ll then post here)

‘Any cookies on my website are used to ensure normal website functions (for instance, Youtube videos won’t work without their own identifiers). These cookies cannot be switched off because the website wouldn’t work properly anymore. However, these identifiers do not store any personal data.’

… and …

‘When you leave a comment, WordPress stores your Gravatar name, IP address, comment, and email address. Therefore, leaving a comment is considered a clear affirmative, specific, and unambiguous action as defined by the GDPR, giving me consent to store this information, and permission to contact you in the future by email.

Your personal information will not be sold or shared with any third parties under any circumstances. Your information shall be retained until you unsubscribe or ask me to remove your data. If you do not consent to the above, please don’t leave a comment.

The truth of the matter is that for most of us it’ll be business as usual once the smoke clears.

It will be interesting however, to see what effect this will have on how non-EU countries and entities adapt their own policies and procedures.

20 comments on “New Privacy Stuff

1. Jay says:

I’m not in the UK but like you said, have certainly received tonnes of new privacy updates from all corners of the web.

2. Thanks for the info, Widders. I’ve seen the initials GDPR but never was curious to find out. I better do some research to see what I may need to do at my blog. I like Nicholas’ wording. So clear and easy to understand.

3. jenanita01 says:

That’s if the smoke ever clears!

4. acflory says:

There’s an interesting problem here because whatever we, as WordPress.com bloggers, may say about the privacy of those who comment on our blogs, WordPress also uses that information, and not all of it is ‘necessary’ for the functioning of our blogs. WordPress displays ads on all our blogs for which it receives revenue. To better display those ads, it uses the data we and our visitors provide. I just hope WordPress doesn’t find itself on the business end of a whopping great fine from the EU.

There’s probably an uptick in lawyer hirings globally to test every word of the ‘fine print’.

• acflory says:

Yeah. As that old saying goes, ‘It’s an ill wind that blows no good’. I’m just glad that the EU has drawn a line in the sand on privacy because the tech companies are NOT going to self regulate. Even with the EU regulations, most will only pay lip service to the concept of user privacy.

I know I keep banging on about privacy, but to me it’s like someone breaking into my house in real life, inventorying everything I own, checking my underwear drawer and then leaving cameras in every corner, including the loo. :/

5. raunchel says:

I don’t think that any larger company will be stupid enough to run afoul of these new regulations, which I have to say, are more than welcome.

6. Thank you so much for the kind shoutout 🙂

7. Roxie says:

Good to know. I updated my “policy disclosure” before, so I’ll have to see if it meets the new criteria. I pretty much summed up those two paragraphs but we’ll see if they need revision, lol.

8. I used Nicholas’s wording too. Thank goodness or I would have thrown up my hands and quit the whole thing. 🙂