Tax-Time Shredding

In Canada you only have to keep you tax records for six years. (used to be seven) So as we approached this years deadline out came the tax receipt boxes from under the bed to be dusted off and opened up and contents perused.

I do feel sorry for the boxes, only allowed out once a year, but we scrutinise them (and their contents) with terrifying intensity over a very short period of time, so perhaps they’re not so hardly-done-by. They then returned from whence they came to rest and recover until next year.

Having realised the wondrous six-year record keeping limit, my shredding for this year was doubled.

Remember who was sharing the cupboard with my sewing machine? When I hauled it out and told it the ‘good news’ it promptly fainted.

After a restorative thimble of oil it rose to the task admirably, and yesterday Mrs Widds took several well-stuffed bags of shreddings to the recyclers.

… and the paper shredder too, went back into its designated domicile to rest and recover, clutching its ‘restorative’ oil to its breast.

-oOo-

Here’s another treat by Khatia. This time it’s Grieg’s Piano concerto … with one of the best opening musical phrases … right up there with the opening fanfare of  Star Wars.

I love how she throws the rest of the orchestra a smile every now and then as though to say, “This is so cool that we’re all making this magnificent sound together.” – which might be me projecting, but hey, if we really thought about how much of our ‘communication’ is actually projection and ‘educated guesses’ we’d fall over in a dead faint. (rather like the paper shredder)

As my hearing slowly heads south for the duration, being able to ‘hear’ such performances through my eyes as well as my ears (and hearing aids) is a wondrous gift.

27 comments on “Tax-Time Shredding

1. Sue Vincent says:

I love the Grieg…

2. Shredding is a task neither the Husband nor I like. Sometimes I drag my feet so he finally takes the shredder out to stare at us.

3. bone&silver says:

Oh she is stunning, and yes, my projection is the same as yours in this case- she’s loving making that music together. What a gift

4. Sorry about your hearing, especially as you love music so much

5. jenanita01 says:

Another of my favourite concertos, I am really being spoiled. No one else in my house likes classical music, so I am forced to use earphones to enjoy it. Lovely to see the performance too!

6. Elisa says:

i love your beautiful machine personifications. also sorry about your hearing, my being deaf in one ear is inconvenient but not quite like being hard of hearing in both. 😦

7. Jay says:

Tax time! I have my own small business, so my tax deadline is later than Sean’s, which doubles our anxiety, somehow. But we all have the same dusty boxes, don’t we?

8. I bet that shredding felt good! And thanks for another amazing concerto. I saved it for this afternoon. Beautiful.

9. raunchel says:

It must be really awful with your hearing, especially as someone who loves good music.

Funnily enough, I keep everything for my taxes in a series of ring binders, neatly ordered by country, year, and then alphabetically. I never shred any of it, I keep having this voice in the back of my head that one day I will need a ten year old statement about something.

I … I was going to say, ‘manage’, but that’s too trite … I evolve. I evolve my techniques for hearing as well as I can. It is frustrating, quite often, but then I come across artists like Khatia, and I can kick back and enjoy the whole experience 😀
      That is an admirable system. 🙂 Do you have a time limit for how far back you go?

10. TanGental says:

I’m very touched you came to my lil ol blogging and followed it. I hope you know what you’re in for. I too will follow back and it seems I too know what I’m in for – a bit of a ride and a lot of a rollercoaster.. thank you and onwards to the stars or if they’re out then the nearest free light source…