Lost Days

I have an infected tooth and am taking antibiotics which both my dentist and I hope work so I don’t need any heavy duty dentistry. It takes me a day of so to adapt the them so today was a total loss as far as writing goes. (blog comments notwithstanding)

I was feeling a bit sorry for myself and started adding up the days each month I lose to various once-offs and on-going health stuff. It averages out to between five and six days a month … which really didn’t help my state of mind until I turned it around and realised that I had twenty four-ish days a month that weren’t ‘lost.’

I felt much better … then I bit down into a piece of toast and set my tooth, and gum, and half my face, to throbbing.

C’est La Vie … you win some, you lose some.

-oOo-

Later …

… I was walking through the laundry, which, among other laundry appliances and accoutrements, is where our chest freezer resides, on my way to the back door when I espied this, just casually kicking back on the top of the freezer …

Thing, from the Addams Family, in drag!

Thing, from the Addams Family, in drag!

You can see the resemblance, right?

… All in all, not a bad day, here on Widder Island.

42 comments on “Lost Days

1. Suzanne says:

Tooth stuff is awful. I hope the meds bring relief quickly. I had two extractions in February and still have tooth ache. I can’t work out if its one of the extraction sites or the tooth behind that. I’m trying to ignore it for a while. I know what you mean about down time for health issues. I’m going through similar stuff.
    I like your attitude that at least there are about 23 good days a month. 🙂

It certainly made a difference to my state of mind, on top of which, I can manage to write something on those days, even if it’s comments on blogs. 🙂

I hope your tooth problems are resolved soon. That’s way too long to be in the ‘aching tooth department’.

• Suzanne says:

Yes, I’m only writing comments on blogs at the moment too. It’s too much effort to do anything else right now.
        I hope you start feeling better soon.
        My tooth problems come and go. It could signify a need for more dental work but I’m waiting till I feel a bit healthier and/or the pain gets worse. -not that I’m scared of the dentist or anything 🙂

2. Sue Vincent says:

Toothache is awful. Hope the antibiotics siort it for you x

3. It’s a handsome glove. I can definitely see Thing sashaying in it. 🙂 Sorry to hear about your tooth. Ouch.

4. Very sorry about your tooth. Here’s some music to cheer you up:

5. jenanita01 says:

I have had nearly 70 years of tooth problems and don’t want any more… luckily, I don’t have many teeth left these days!

6. bone&silver says:

Bad teeth suck. Antibiotics are great, apart from the havoc they wreak in your guts- take probiotics to fix your flora afterwards. And eat sauerkraut. That glove made me snort out loud; I like your association. Hope you feel better soon; perhaps those 5 or 6 days are actually a good percolation time for your creativity? No doubt your mind is always up to something… : )

Consequence of childhood dental trauma and ignoring them in my younger years. Antibiotics tend to make me feel mushy and sluggish, so I’m just cruising right now, but yeah, I agree about the collateral damage they do.

My brain – the more things it gets up to the more it wants to write … one helluva spiral dance! 😀

• bone&silver says:

I would say I had a dentist phobia: didn’t go for 8 years once. Then had to go 6 times in one year cos so many teeth were f*cked… technology had improved… now I absolutely hate it and grimace the entire time, but I go. So I feel ya!

Enjoy that spiral: we your audience await new tales 😊🙏🏼

7. I hope the agony is over soon!

8. Thing makes me think of Morticia … cara mia.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

9. May your dental problems get better.

10. willedare says:

Dental issues can be super painful ANd expensive. I just read a lovely blog post about chamomile which mentioned that it can be a gentle way to help heal gums: https://smorgasbordinvitation.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/smorgasbord-the-medicine-womans-treasure-chest-aromatherapy-chamomile-essential-oil/ Maybe a cup of chamomile tea? Or even a drop of chamomile oil in warm water as a mouth rinse?

Hi there Will, 🙂 … pleased to meet’cha … I checked out that link, there’s some really useful stuff there. I’m rather fond of chamomile tea so I think I’ll give it a go. Thanks. 😀

11. I may actually have something useful. I have a section of my teeth where I think the top or bottom or both have shifted a bit (some crowns in the area). So now, if I’m unlucky, that area can get very painful because the whole pressure of the jaw concentrates on one tiny area (can happen while you’re sleeping). Twice now I have used an inexpensive drugstore mouth guard (you use hot water to customize it) for a few days at night while sleeping – to take the pressure off until it heals.

It’s worth a try. When you’re conscious, try not to bite there. But when you’re asleep, this keeps the pressure spread. I just did it again – and things are very much back to normal. Another day, and I will be able to chew evenly.

I’m hoping that’s part of the problem/solution. My dentist said that I naturally do all my hard biting around this very tooth, and the corresponding ones on the other side of my mouth. If this doesn’t turn out to be something major, I’ll have a word with my dentist and see where we can go from there. Thanks. 😀

12. Olga Godim says:

Poor you. I hate dental problems. A visit to my dentist is looming, but I’m postponing it as much as I can.

13. Jay says:

Oooouch, I hope you’re feeling better.

14. Hope your tooth troubles resolve without major dentistry. And put that “Thing” in a box. 🙂

15. acflory says:

Ugh. Been there, done that, horrible! It’s hard to feel on top of things when just eating has to be carefully thought out ahead of time. Hope you feel better soon. 😦