Fire

When the rain stopped, everything grew.

When the rain stayed away, everything dried out.

When the rain didn’t come back, the wildfires started.

I am blessed on my island in the middle of a lake in the middle of a rainforest, but I feel the heat in my bones.

The nearest fire colours my twilight in shades of orange and smoke.

No-one has died, tens of thousands have left their homes not knowing if they will have homes to return to.

This is my summer.

Ashcroft burning

Photo by Darryl Dyck The Canadian Press

Ashcroft BC

39 comments on “Fire

1. A.S. Akkalon says:

Hoping for rain for you.

2. That is so scary – I hope the rains come and put out the wildfires and make the land and the plants less tinder-dry. Do you have a plan if it gets too close to you?

3. Sue Vincent says:

I knew there were reasons for preferring cooler weather…Stay safe.

4. I understand. I also live in BC. Take care and stay safe.

5. jenanita01 says:

I would send you our rainfall, if I could…

6. Oh, gosh! I hope you and the Missus on your island in the rainforest stay safe during the fire. May it go out soon.

7. catdownunder says:

We Downunderites can only sympathise and worry along with you. My state was lucky this year but fire is a constant danger here and with you in summer. Hugs

Part of me used to dread summers when I lived in the Blue Mountains and the Southern Tablelands. The smell of smoke is the same no matter which side of the Pacific I live on.

8. I hope for relief for you both

9. I’m doing a rain dance and sending you some of our rain.

10. Oh, dear. Hoping for rain in your part of the world!

😦 Summer in the West. Here’s hoping the fires are tamed soon and rains return.

12. That’s frightening. Fire is always a risk here too. It’s amazing how quickly things dry out when the rain stops, even in a rainforest.

13. Jay says:

We live in such a crazy country. As fires rage on the west coast in BC, over here we’ve had record rain, three consecutive weeks of it, and we had terrible flooding in the spring. Stay safe.

14. Olga Godim says:

Gosh, we need the rain. The weather seems always so extreme. It was rain and snow almost non-stop all winter. Now, we need a little bit of rain – but no. At least we don’t see fires from my place in Vancouver, but we all know it is there.

15. Diana Beebe says:

Wow! Stay safe! I hope for some rain for the area! (I say “some” because too much rain isn’t good either.)