Best Laid Plans of Mice and Lesbians

I’ve probably used that line as the title of a post before and I’m pretty sure I put 2017 down somewhere and forgot about it.

I forgot mah purzz

I forgot mah purzz

I had planned to get a post up before this but the Dreaded Lurgy decided to smack me around, and then smack me around some more. Coughing one’s toes up is not a fun activity!

So I thought I’d just do a bit of a catch-up-ish post instead.

***

Mrs Widds and I started doing swim classes at our local leisure center last Autumn.  (they have a heated indoor pool and a ginormous hot tub) We were having a blast, and then we started to get the itches. Did you know that chlorine and human skin cannot co-exist in the same universe? Neither did I.

Enter the Interwebz! … The trick is to oil up your skin before you go in the water, to inhibit the chlorine from bonding with your skin. It turns out chlorine can be neutralized by good old ascorbic acid or vitamin C. So we use a solution of 1 tablespoon of VC to 4 cups of water, and lightly rub it into our skin after we swim and before we shower.

***

We’ve had snow on the ground here on Widder Island since the beginning of December. I look out my window as I work and all I see is this …

Widder Lake with a snow fort in the foreground

Widder Lake with a snow fort in the foreground

Makes my little snow-loving heart go all gooey!

That’s about it. Regular scheduling will retur …. oh let’s face it, I never had a schedule to begin with.

See ya next time.

***

Bonus, through-the-study-window-at-night, shot …

Poor little Rosemary is somewhere underneath all that sticky snow

Poor little Rosemary is somewhere underneath all that sticky snow

36 comments on “Best Laid Plans of Mice and Lesbians

1. Sorry to hear you’ve been coughing, too – and I haven’t been anywhere near you. Must be an internet virus.

2. Beautiful snow!

3. A.S. Akkalon says:

You have such amazing snow! My thoughts are with the poor rosemary.

4. Sue Vincent says:

The winter virus is a lingerer.
    I want your snow though. But not this weekend 😉

5. jenanita01 says:

Hope the cough has taken a hike.. I cough a lot, being asthmatic, and there is nothing worse that trying not to turn yourself inside out!
    My family don’t understand my passion for snow, so thanks for showing me yours!

6. I do hope you are both well.

7. My flu jab seems to have helped me to avoid everything while all around are coughing their guts up. Hee, hee, hee. Turns out there are advantages to being old. Your snow scenes are glorious but I’m glad I’m not having to deal with it myself.

Love the snow! Hugs on the reaction to the chlorine.

Thanks … those itchies are the worst. The desire to shred one’s skin down to the bone does not abate as one shreds one’s skin down to the bone!

9. I’ve been coughing up a storm too. Stay warm and enjoy the white wonders of winter. Thanks for the tip on chlorine – very helpful 😀

10. Bun Karyudo says:

Beautiful snow! I love that kind of weather just as long as there’s food in the house, the electricity isn’t down and I don’t have to go anywhere.

11. Your snowy scenes almost have me wanting to be somewhere where I can look out the window and see snow. I’m content with looking out at the wet streets at the moment. Thanks for the tip about Vitamin C. If I ever find a place to swim around here, I’ll do that. I itch easily. Hope the coughing has decreased.

12. Jay says:

We have a system in our hot tub that’s very low-chlorine which has been so, so nice. My mom’s tub is so bad it eats through her swim suits, forget about skin! As for our pool – it’s salt!

Comments are closed.