Whatever Happened To Mortal Instinct

Well, I’ve finally finished the first draft rewrite, and to everyone who read the original, and said nice things about it, I thank you. You were very kind.

Truth is, what the publisher released was no better than a first draft, a worst NaNoWriMo first draft than could ever be imagined. Well, OK, not the worst, but you get my drift. I tried, politely, to get things changed, but all too soon the publisher stopped answering my emails.

Funny thing is, I could never read it through once it was published. I’d come to the first bunch of typos, or the paragraphs that made no sense, and I’d cringe and put it down. I thought this was just me being ‘precious’.

I half-heartedly promoted it, as you are supposed to do, but I always felt like I had to apologise first. I thought this was me being a shy Libran.

But I was neither of those things. I was certainly naive, but we all are at the beginning. In the intervening six-ish years I learned my craft, the business and the art of it, and waited out my contract.

And here we are, at the second beginning of my writing career. This time I’m doing it for myself!

****

Remember this?

25 comments on “Whatever Happened To Mortal Instinct

1. jenanita01 says:

That’s the thing about learning curves, you are never prepared for all the things you have to learn. The days when I feel like giving in still happen, far too often for my liking, but then I tell myself to just get on and do it! (for myself!)

2. Oh, dear. I trust this time you will retain control

3. Helen Jones says:

Well done! So pleased you were able to get your rights back and rework your first draft. I know I’ve learned so much in the past few years about writing and craft and promotion, and I still have so much to learn. It’s part of being a writer, I guess – the key is to never give up, never stop writing, I think 🙂

HI Helen … never surrender!!! … Winston Churchill said it better though 😀

‘We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.’

4. Yay for second beginnings!

Huzzah! I’m awful about rereading my own work; once it’s out there, I can’t bear to, because I just know I’m going to find something terrible that was missed before. (And yet I’m confident enough to release it? I’m weird.)

Hooray for your second beginning!

6. zhyxtheman says:

I know the feeling. Always kills me when one of the MoviePilot articles I wrote goes live and then you start seeing the errors. It’s almost like they’re invisible until it actually gets out there.

7. ktcwrites says:

Well Done!

8. Cringing goes with be a writer, me thinks. You go, Gal!

9. Totally my experience! And the reason that I waited out 6 contracts and republished my books myself. I couldn’t stand having my hands tied like that regarding quality in addition to a frustrating inability to price and promote. Congratulations! If you’re not already jumping for joy, you will be. 🙂

10. Self-publishing is the best way to go, IMO. It’s hard, but the control and freedom you have can’t be equaled. GOOD LUCK!

11. Bun Karyudo says:

Glad to hear you’re standing on your own two feet–and what is that I see in you hand? Your own bell for ringing on!