Moar New Toys

Late last year my hearing aids turned up their toes, wandered out to the back paddock and shot themselves … thereby rendering me one of those annoying people who are constantly saying, “Eh?” when in civilised company.

Deceased hearing aids in their casket – awaiting a proper burial

Deceased hearing aids in their casket – awaiting a proper burial

It was time to bring in the new guns. The good news is that my hearing loss has remained stable for the last five years, and the wonder that is the Technology Age will enable me to go from a clunky hand held control device to an app that acts like a recording studio sound desk.

I’ll be wired for sound, baby!!!

This is neither my skin tone or hair colour, but it kinda is my style :)

This is neither my skin tone or hair colour, but it kinda is my style 🙂

The catch is that I have to upgrade my phone to a brand and generation that would allow the app to function … iPhone 5, here I come.

***

And …

My desktop computer tower is getting a bit long in the tooth and the internal dvd player is all jammed up so we treated ourselves to a new external dvd player.

The best thing about it is the instruction sheet.

The money quote: ‘Do not put the machines on the vulnerable to squeeze place ...’ actually makes sense!

***

Coco the Community Cat paid us a visit on Christmas day. The Widderkins family were in abundance and we weren’t sure how she’d cope.

Srsly? You think I’d run away from mere humans?

Srsly? You think I’d run away from mere humans?

24 comments on “Moar New Toys

1. But if you can’t put it in the vulnerable to squeeze place, where else can you put it?

2. Reminds me I have to actually fasten the CD/DVD played to the underside of the shelf with the laptop on it. Shows how much I don’t use it.

Writing has come before everything else for so long I forget what it is to do other things.

We weren’t too fussed about it either until a lot of our favourite movies were showing up in the ‘cheap’ boxes in supermarkets … seemed like too good an opportunity to waste. 🙂

3. Kris says:

Those hearing aids sound great! I need to upgrade soon, as I am not as lucky as you to have a “stable” hearing loss, mine keeps deteriorating. I solve the not hearing well in conversation to keeping mum and smiling… That why they wonder what I am up to. Take care!

4. Bring in the new! 🙂

Lots of shiny new gadgets! Very cool! (I think I’d go with the green. Maybe.)

6. People are walking around these days with all kinds of little gadgets attached to their heads 🙂 I can’t tell anymore what’s a hearing aid and what’s a phone. Love the bright colors. Flaunt it!

7. Hmmm, I’d either go with the green or the curry color. Thankfully, knock on wood, my hearing is fine. I was thinking about hearing loss this evening actually and whether I’d be like the Mama and be too vain about getting a hearing aid. Now, seeing all the cool colors available that could clash in my ear, I’d be okay about it.

8. K. Renae P. says:

The problem with having colorful hearing aids is I’d want them all. I’d change them out like my earrings.

Sounds like some good stuff in store! (Sounds… get it? Yeah, that was bad… I should be sleeping instead of blogging, but apparently my good sense has retired for the evening, haha) I hope the new technology serves you well 🙂

10. BunKaryudo says:

The new hearing aids look pretty trendy to me. I’d definitely get the green ones. Not to match my earrings, my tattooed forehead or my usual complexion, you’ll be relieved to hear, but just because for some reason, green has always been my favorite color. 🙂

11. jamieayres says:

Cheers to a new year and more shiny new things to play with . . . or figure out 🙂

That’s what I think is screwy with the new age of ‘intuitive’ technology … they make the instruction manuals incomprehensible on purpose, so people have to figure the gizmo’s out by themselves, therefore they don’t need comprehensible instruction manuals!!! Catch 22 for the 21st Century.

12. clarbojahn says:

So many new toys! I’m trying to make do with my old hearing aides till they drop. A Little like yours . I haven’t got one of the newfangled phones yet either and hope to get by without ever getting one. Maily because it will break the bank.

Good luck in learning all you need to know. Once upon a time I thought I learned it all in kindergarten, but not no more. 🙂