Break a Leg

Among her many accomplishments, Mrs. Widds is an actor. Unfortunately that ‘well-wishing’ phrase had another meaning the other day. She fell and landed on her bum, forearm, and foot, not necessarily in that order.

She got back on her feet, shaken but seemingly none-the-worse for wear. Yesterday we went to a local walk-in clinic (her family doctor was unavailable) because her foot was so sore she could hardly walk on it.

She had x-rays which showed a fractured metatarsal, (the one connected to her little toe) and is now fated to wear one of these for the next couple of weeks …

I wonder if we could repurpose it as a ski boot?

I wonder if we could repurpose it as a ski boot?

That wasn’t the worst part of the adventure. This was:

The doctor forgot to sign the requisition for the x-rays, which we only discovered when we got to the local hospital to have them taken … back to the clinic we drove, thankfully only a few minutes away, but still a tortuous process for a woman with  fractured bones.

After the x-rays at the hospital, it was back to the clinic to hear the results (fractured metatarsal) from the same doctor, who then offered Mrs Widds a choice of plaster-of-paris cast or the above pictured boot cast. The doctor filled out a prescription for the boot and off we went to the drugstore affixed to the hospital which has all manner of medical devices, (that I found both fascinating and macabre) wherein we found the doctor had put a complete stranger’s personal information on Mrs Widds paperwork.

By this time both of us were quite testy! After a few moderately loud (we were in a public place after all) W.T.F!!!!!!! ‘s, and %$#@#$$%%##@ ‘s from both of us, Mrs Widds got the clinic front staff to fax an accurate copy of the paperwork to the drug store front staff.

The final insult was the boot turning out to be twice as expensive as the doctor advised.

***

Moral of the story #1: Read the fine print!!! – we usually do, but I think we were both a bit shocked that what seemed like a simple fall resulted in broken bones.

Moral of the story #2: Front staff are awesome.

We stopped at our local library to stock up on books for the patient to wallow in. (several bag-fulls of which can be seen in the above picture)

***

Non-related picture – our Autumn tree is now naked!

That’s frost on the ground, not snow. Le sigh.

That’s frost on the ground, not snow. Le sigh.

24 comments on “Break a Leg

1. M.E. Garber says:

Oh no! Here’s hoping for a speedy recovery.

2. fromcouchtomoon says:

“Favorited,” but not really favorited because that sucks.

That’s not a fun kind of adventure. And the back and forth trips would’ve been frustrating. I hope recovery is quick!

4. Poor baby – and what an incompetent bunch. Two seconds worth of checking would have cleared everything up before you left.

I would have been in tears – each one of those amusing little incidents would have robbed me of more and more energy. I have none to spare!

Hoping for a speedy recovery – and less pain.

5. Best wishes to Mrs. Widds!

6. Oh, lordy. My sympathy to Mrs Widds. I hope she doesn’t get pencilled in for work and not be able to do it. I was too often ill when the best auditions or interviews came along!

7. Oh no! Hope she has a speedy recovery.

8. Olga Godim says:

My best wishes to the sufferer. It will make a funny story one day, but to live through it wasn’t funny at all. That doctor should be fined for his negligence.

Best wishes to her. I do hate the medical run-arounds.

10. […] and a P. S. to the Mrs Widds breaks her foot […]

HAppy healing Mrs Widds!!

12. jmmcdowell says:

Oh, that reminds me of a boy I knew in high school. He “hurt” his foot doing gymnastics, and his parents didn’t think it was anything serious at first. It took a few days for him to convince them to take him to the doctor—and find out he’d broken a bone!

Wishing Mrs. Widds a speedy and complete recovery!