Fare Thee Well, Old Friend

Widdercat had a very bad fall this morning and broke one of her back legs.

Surgery would’ve been too much for her poor body to contend with.

She died this afternoon.

She was one hundred years old.

Our hearts are broken.

Her favourite faceplant, in her favourite nest

Her favourite faceplant, in her favourite nest

35 comments on “Fare Thee Well, Old Friend

Oh, I’m so sorry to read this. It’s so hard to let them go, but I do admire your willingness to ‘let her be.’

The whole process had a surreal brutal beauty to it that has left both of us in shock. We really, really, hoped she’d drift off in her sleep, but it wasn’t to be.

2. You had the gift of her presence, and gave her the gift of being there for her when she needed you. You can’t ask any more of a friend. My sympathies.

3. W. R. Woolf says:

I am sorry for your loss.

4. How do such small beings leave such huge holes in our hearts when they leave? You said it when you said you were taking the time you had left with her one breath at a time.

5. krisalex333 says:

My sincerest condolences.

6. I’m sorry for the pain now and glad for the long life, full of love and warm sunny spots, before. Thinking of you.

She was always finding new places to ‘nest’. We’d make it all comfy for those old bones, she’d hang out there for a few days or a week or two, then she’d find someplace new. I think it was a game for her – make the staffpersons earn their keep 🙂

• She wanted to keep your mental facilities sharp. 🙂 Old lady Cinnamon used to sleep by my head, and I still feel for her there sometimes when I’m half awake.

Today was our first day back at work. Going through our morning routines without her was hard. I’m sure I heard her breakfast ‘Mrrrrrrp?’ a couple of times.

• I understand. The shadow that’s so much like the slip of a tail around the edge of a door. Even things like not having to wake up at 2:00 am to open another can because they won’t eat any other time…everything’s unexpectedly painful.

7. Diana Beebe says:

I’m so sorry for your loss! Our furbabies never truly leave us though. {{{HUGS}}}

Oh, no! I’m so very sorry. My deepest condolences. {{hug}}

9. Karen Syed says:

Sending warm healing hugs.

10. fromcouchtomoon says:

It breaks my heart to read this. May you find some peace in warm memories.

11. Oh, Widder, big, big hugs to you and the Missus. I wouldn’t be surprised if Widdercat is hanging out with Robin Williams right now.

12. K. Caffee says:

A sad day to have your furry child make the trip to the rainbow bridge. But, she will wait for you there. Hugs and condolences to her surviving family members, and may her memories turn sweet quickly for you.

13. winterbayne says:

I’m glad she was there to enrich your life.

14. Aw, sorry to hear you lost Widdercat. 😦

15. Yvonne Heidt says:

I’m so sorry for your loss as well.

16. jmmcdowell says:

So sorry to hear of your loss. It’s so hard to lose those four-legged friends. She’ll always live on in your memories. And when you least expect it, those memories will bring a smile to brighten your days.