Old Friend

This summer is hard for Widdercat.

In spite of our efforts to cool the house, the prolonged heat leaves her drained of energy on her best days, and almost comatose on her worst.

The four-legged full arm stretch, with neck extended

The four-legged full arm stretch, with neck extended

She sleeps so deeply that we peer at her tummy hoping we’ll see it rise and fall, hoping she still breathes.

There is no movement for so long that our hearts contract.

At last she breathes, and so do we.

She looks amused to see our hovering concern so she stretches out a paw to acknowledge our attentiveness, to reassure us.

Two paw stretch with delicate head droop

Two paw stretch with delicate head droop

Her time with us is measured in units of unknown length – months, weeks, days, become irrelevant.

Only the next breath counts.

Underneath her favourite tree, before it got too hot

Underneath her favourite tree, before it got too hot

15 comments on “Old Friend

1. SouthernGal says:

poor baby! 😦

2. Waiting and watching is so hard.

3. Karen Syed says:

Widdercat will find peace here or there because she is loved!

4. winterbayne says:

Kashmir sleeps a lot too. If the average cat sleeps 16-18 hours a day, what is normal for an older cat I wonder? How old is WC? My last two cats lived to be 22 years old and Kashmir is currently 12.

I need to post more pictures of her on my blog.

5. “Mrrrrrrrrrrr,” says Molly the Cat. “I feel for you, Widdercat.”

I ‘get’ this. With two older pets in our house, we do the “watch” as well. I don’t want to think about the day we don’t see the belly move. Hope your kitty finds cooler temps and comfort soon.

7. Dear Widdershins,
    I’m glad you posted pictures of Widdercat! It is great that she knows how much you love her! And she shows you how much she loves you, too. Awesome! May peace surround you!

Joan

Aw, such lovely pictures. I know that feeling of waiting for the next breath.

Widdercat might not like it much, but you could try what’s called a “lion cut” to help her be cooler. She would be a little odd looking, though.

Yeah, she’s had one of those. I wish I’d taken pictures. There’s nothing more hilarious than a shorn cat trying to look dignified! 🙂 … not that we would ever let them know that.