Images

I love how inspiration strikes when I’m not particularly looking for it. I was ambling through my emails yesterday and came across a link in one of the newsletters I subscribe to called ‘Earthfuture’.  It’s a fabulous resource and what’s on primarily targeted at Vancouver Islandistas

*waves to London Mabel*.

The link was to Ariana Shar’s Facebook ‘wall’ of pictures. (click on any of the images and scroll through – you don’t have to have an account or anything) I’m a sucker for starscapes  and fantasy imagery, so I swiftly disappeared into the images, only to be recalled to this reality by the Widdercat chewing on my ear ‘cos she was hungry. With almost every image I could feel my brain ticking over; constructing scenes and dialogue and characters and … and … backstory … and … everything. I was in writerly bliss.

One of them also gave me a final image to connect the dots in the overall story arc for my serial. The first draft of episode 1 is now done, complete with the obligatory cliffhanger. I’m about to go back through it and insert a whole bunch of hints, clues, allusions and red herrings that I’ll run with in future episodes – or not! (messing with your mind)

Mrs Widdershins suggested I take a gander at ‘Twin Peaks’  just for the cliffhanger endings.

I remember all the brouhaha when it hit the TV airwaves in 1990 and thought the premise sounded very silly, but just as I did recently with my Quentin Tarentino movie-fest  I reckon enough time has passed for me to be able to separate the show from the fuss.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

“ I’m always astonished by a forest. It makes me realise that the fantasy of nature is much larger than my own fantasy. I still have things to learn” Günter Grass, German novelist, poet, playwright, illustrator, graphic artist, sculptor.

12 comments on “Images

I’ve never watched Twin Peaks, so I have no idea how it will inspire your cliffhanger endings. I’m looking forward to reading your story to find out for myself 🙂

I just watched the pilot episode … very 90’s noir, with a touch of ‘Peyton Place’ thrown in for good measure. Kyle MacLachlan is so young!

I’m not sure how inspiring it will be for my story though … but I’ll persevere! 😀

I loved Twin Peaks — until the show got canceled and they wrapped it up with a highly unsatisfying series finale.

Love images to spur my imagination! Thanks for the link. Good luck with all your plot seeding!

I hate it when a series gets cancelled mid-story arc too … The writers have to tie all the ends up (if they get the opportunity, that is) and no-one is pleased.

Glad you liked the link. 😀

3. Nisha says:

It’s amazing what a simple picture can do to spark that creativity within. I had a similar experience when I was looking at an old Facebook profile pic of mine. It was of an angel, but for the first time after having the image for years, I noticed its pointy ears. I then got the inspiration to write a fantasy short about an elf warrior! LOL. 🙂

Ilandista! I like it.

5. I have to admit, I don’t often find inspiration in images. My inspiration tends to be more in ideas and words, and then I have to go looking for the images afterwards.

Good luck on your series!

6. Ahhh, Twin Peaks…. The owls are not what they seem!

Inspiration comes in the most unlikely forms. A chance encounter, a turn of phrase – and suddenly the dots are connected, dots you didn’t even know existed. And a picture is worth a thousand words, some pictures at least.

The first season was definitely worth watching, but I have to admit season 2 was a bit slow. When I read a synopsis of how it all turned out, I decided I didn’t really need to go there … what a blast it was though to see Lara Flynn Boyle in shoulder-pads and ‘Annie Hall’ layers!