What would Quentin Tarantino Do?

Due to a period of enforced inactivity, courtesy of my ½ knee acting up, I’ve been indulging in a mini-film festival.

As I approached the end of the first draft of my posting-a-story-on-my-blog-as-a-serial, writing endeavour, I still hadn’t uncovered ANYTHING of the story arc past the suspenseful ending of the first episode. I gave up trying and decided to wait for inspiration, divine or otherwise, present itself on the premise that it would either be the shortest serial in history, or the most spectacular.

Then I hurt my knee. The kind of hurt where the bottom end of the thighbone grinds into the top end of the shinbone.

Given my ‘druthers’ I’d sit at my desk for hours a’writin’ and a’researchin’ on my computer, but when I have to sit for hours because of the, “Keep your leg elevated and ice that knee regularly,” advice from my doctor … well, that’s a whole ‘nuther kettle of kittens!

Which brings us round to my mini film-festival I’d decided to indulge in … erm … undertake, in order to not go stir-crazy.  As I scrolled through a list of available DVD’s, I came across ‘Kill Bill, Vol I and Volume II’. I’ve often been intrigued by the attention Quentin Tarantino films have garnered over the years … and I thought, “Why not?” … so I watched both movies, and ‘Pulp Fiction’, as well as ‘Inglorious Basterds’.

He isn’t my favourite film director, not by a long shot. Apart from all the gore and violence, I’m not into his genre. But I’d figured enough time had passed for the hoopla and controversy surrounding them to dissipate, at least in my mind.

Yes, there was gore and violence. I expected that, (the beauty of a DVD player is the ‘mute’ and ‘fast forward’ options) what I didn’t expect was how compelling the movies were. I had to pay attention to what I was watching.

I’m sure reams have been written that dissect his work, and I’m not going to go anywhere near that, because that’s not what I’m here for.

So, now, at the end of this post, I bring together the thread of looking for inspiration for where my serial is going to go, and the answer the question I posed in the title of this post; ‘What Would Quentin Tarantino do?

He’d mess with your mind, that’s what!

“The good ideas will survive” – Quentin Tarantino, film director, screenwriter, producer, cinematographer, and actor.

11 comments on “What would Quentin Tarantino Do?

1. Lauren says:

I’ve never grown accustomed to Tarantino’s gratuitous gore, but one reason I watch his movies is that he’s weirdly talented when it comes to dialogue. His characters don’t say profound things – most of the time it’s random, kooky conversation – but somehow it’s memorable and even charming in its own way. I watch these long dialogue scenes, and then skip the violent bits. Inglorious Basterds and Deathproof are probably my favourites, although most of his movies have scenes that I really like.

Hiya lauren,
      That’s exactly what I meant by ‘paying attention’. Tuning out the violence and gore, and tuning in for the dialogue and the performances.
      I wonder what he could do if he dropped the V & G?

2. Karen Syed says:

I have never been able to wrap my mind around QT’s stuff. I don’t mind gore usually, but I find his stuff totally gratuitous with no real path to anywhere but death and destruction…not like John Hughes, who…oh nevermind. LOL

I tried to watch Kill Bill, but I DESPISE Uggy Thurman. Pulp Fiction, really?

What would QT do? He would simply gut you and let you bleed out in the middle of the road.

I’ve heard of Quentin Tarantino, but I’m not familiar with his movies. When you ended your post explaining he would mess with our minds…I was cool with that. Then I read the comment above about being gutted and left to bleed out, well, my enthusiasm waned a bit.

Please, just mess with my mind. Blood makes me squeamish 🙂

4. Dear Widdershins,
    I’m proud that you did your own private film festival. We have to admire when dialogue and the actions aside from the violence and gore intrigue our minds and keep us fast-forwarding to the next part of the movie. In our own lives we’d like to fast-forward through the pain and suffering, too. We’d like to have a remote control for our lives, too. However, we don’t have the option to skip over the parts of our lives that hurt us. We have to learn to deal with it and thus go forward to peace in our minds and bodies. I’m proud of you for taking a step to calm your mind and body by studying films. It’ll help you in your writing, too.

Never Give Up
    Joan Y. Edwards

Oh man, when they’re in the car and accidentally shoot the guy? It’s so awful and so funny. But you must see Reservoir Dogs, it’s SO good. Steve Buscemi is so funny in that movie. (But it will ruin the song “Stuck in the Middle With You”) for you.

I was SO disappointed (and bored) with Kill Bill 1, I’ve never gone on to Kill Bill 2 though people reassure me part 2 is more traditional Tarantino. Part 1 was a homage to a genre of movies I’ve just never seen.

In re your story. Lani Diane Rich would say that when you’re stuck, sitting around doing something like watching good movies is exactly the right thing to do. That’s what she refers to as discovering your story, and fueling your magic. It’s the one teaching that I really like, that struck me as Totally Right when I first heard her talk about it. That sitting down to watch a great series or read a good book is part of being a writer. You’re immersing yourself in Story.

She also recommends making a collage, and a soundtrack and other such things, which you can pull out any time your story stalls.

(PS – Have you ever watched the SFF show Primeval? I’m up to season 3 and loving it so.)

I’ve thought about using other artforms, but watching a movie is like a complete immersion for me. Reading comes a close second, but I still have to turn pages!

The accidental shooting was sheer genius!

Hm-m … might have to give ‘Primeval’ a go then.

6. […] and thought the premise sounded very silly, but just as I did recently with my Quentin Tarentino movie-fest  I reckon enough time has passed for me to be able to separate the show from the […]