13 Degrees of Separation

Brief review of the past week or two – The season of weekends being consumed by family marriages seems to be over, at least until the next generation grow up. The dying Widdershins cat, didn’t. The visiting sister-in-law has gone home. The Widdershins Lake water level appears to have stabilised at its seasonal peak. Summer Solstice has come and gone.

Future optimism – Time and space for long writing sessions spread out in all directions. I had it all planned out … wallowing in a summery season of intense writing and writerly endeavours and summery sun …

Reality bites – And what am I doing? Shivering in front of a heater, wrapped in way too many layers of clothing!

Rhetorical Question – Why, oh Why, is my thermometer telling me it’s 13° (55°F) outside, in the middle of a summer’s day?

Unanswerable questions – Am I experiencing a temporal geographical phenomena? Has Higgs Boson decided to rearrange all things climatic? Or, are more insidious forces at work?

Concluding statement – My ghast has never been so flabbered. This is ridonkulous!

“ Don’t knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn’t start a conversation if it didn’t change once in a while” Kin (Frank McKinney) Hubbard, – humourist and journalist.

15 comments on “13 Degrees of Separation

Your post made me smile. I did get hung up on the 55 degrees, though. Brrr. It was 108 degrees during my drive home (high is supposed to be 112 by Friday.) How about something in between??

Hope things warm up for you a bit so you can do some writing in the sun- without blankets 🙂

2. Same kind of brrrness is happening in my neck of California. I wouldn’t mind one or two more degrees hotter, but only that.

Oh noes, what’s wrong with widdercat?

To answer both Mabel and Nisha:
      Widdercat (love it!) is an old lady, with a bum thyroid and failing kidneys. She went to the ventist (vet dentist) a while back and they cleaned her few teefs and one fang, and sent her home with some antibioticals. Widdercat hates antibioticals and refuses to eat and only drinks very little while being forced to ingest such horrible medicine.
      Normally this is OK because once the course is done she eats like a horse as usual. This time, she had a really bad reaction to the antibiotics and diarrhea-ed herself into vostiple (vet hospital)
      Three days later we bring her home, but it is clear that her poor body has had enough. No eating, no drinking, no nothing, and we are doing a deathwatch.
      Five days later, she decides to wake up and start eating and drinking and peeing and pooping as if nothing has happened!
      I don’t know how many more lives she’s used up but Mrs Widdershins and I are sooo glad she had at least one more in the tank!

4. Nisha says:

Ha ha, maybe some of the Southern Hemispherean weather sneaked over to your part of the world and vice versa. 🙂 Its quite sunny and warm here, even though its suppose to be winter!
    Yes even the best laid-plans can go pear-shaped! I know this all too well. Writers are especially cursed, LOL. 😉

PS. What happened to Kitty?

5. The one thing we can never count on is the weather. When it’s hot, it’s too hot. When it’s cold, it’s too cold. And it’s particularly annoying when it’s cold when we think it should be hot, and hot when we think it should be cold. It seems to upset our perceptions of the natural order of things.

I’m glad to hear the Widdercat has shaken off the latest ailment and returned to some form of health. Nursing a loved one through decline is a difficult job, whether they have two legs or four.

The true writerly discipline: continuing to write even when the ideal writing environment fails to appear. How well can you type when huddled over the heater?

I dream of an open fireplace in a cabin in the woods where there are NO interruptions!
      A final word on the weather: we’ve had our pseudo-summery 2 1/2 days of sunshine, now, it’s raining – again!

6. Raining here too, Widdershins — we actually had an amazing summer storm here a couple of days ago. I need to post pictures to Flickr. I’m just glad my SO came home in one piece, since he was out among all the lightning!

7. Ha! And I am melting in 101 degrees.
    Tee hee
    My ghast has never been so flabbered. This is ridonkulous!

8. timkeen40 says:

If it helps – and I am sure it does not – it was 110 here on the 28th, an all time high for my home town of Franklin, Ky.
    Nice to meet your blog.

Pleased to meet’cha Tim … thanks for dropping by

… 110 degrees is insane. I remember it occasionally getting that hot when I lived in Australia years ago. I hate to think of what the thermometer is reaching there now …

… hope you found somewhere to cool off.