This is Why Writers MUST do their Homework

A publishing horror story. Read through some of the comments too. There’s a wealth of information to be gleaned.

12 comments on “This is Why Writers MUST do their Homework

1. shudder! I hope that experience doesn’t stop her from her writing career. I’ve had editors re-write my work-for-hire stuff. The editors who give me a very strict outline about what to write, with instructions of this idea, but not these words, then rewrite it to be precisely the wording of their outlines crack me up the most. That is, after I get pissed off for a while and grumble about how they waste my time and theirs, as well as the publisher’s money.

I don’t think it will. She received so much support through the comments. … yeah, first we get furious and then we can laugh at the sheer absurdity of it all.

2. catdownunder says:

Oh…and oh again!

3. s.p.bowers says:

Yikes! Unfortunately this isn’t the only time of heard of this. Publishing can be a scary place.

4. Nisha says:

Okay, how scary was that? That editor seems like a literary sociopath. And this is the whole crux of the matter: if she has such a long way to go and the story was so bad that they had to do a whole transformation, why agree to publish it?
    I seriously hope and pray we don’t ever have an experience like that…

There are so many predators out there, and many with delusions of grandeur like this dick. He sounds insane. You def have to chck the sites aforementioned, and with agents too.

6. Ruth Nestvold says:

That whole situation is amazing — and goes far beyond that one story. Unfortunately for most of the editors in the business, who are very nice people, this editor is giving them all a bad rep. 😦