Getting Back To Work

On her 29th April blog post, frog Nisha talked about the ‘Lucky 7 Challenge’ where a writer goes to their current WIP (Work In Progress) and on either page 7 or 77, go down 7 lines and post the next 7 lines.

Being stuck ‘twixt neither and nuthin’ as far as a direction for any new writing project, I thought long and hard about what I had tucked away in the dusty corners of my files.

When we were packing to move to our island in the middle of the lake, Mrs Widdershins unearthed a stack of papers marked ‘files’, that had probably been sitting in that exact same place since we moved into the apartment. In that pile were several handwritten journals of mine that told the story of the first year of my Shaman apprenticeship. I’d given up any hope of ever seeing them again.

Three cheers for Mrs Widdershins!

I perused page 7, went down 7 lines, and posted the next 7 in the comments section of Nisha’s post, and said to myself, “Self. We should publish that story.”

Self snorted. (rather disparagingly I thought) “Handwritten notes. From 1991. Do you remember how … erm … how to say this delicately … detailed those notes are?”

I’d thought of a less attractive word, but was willing to go with ‘detailed’.

“Of course I do.” I said. “That’s what’ll make this so interesting. You know you want to.”

With a few semi-audible whines Self capitulated.

So there we have it. Along with the projects I already have active; Book 2 of the ‘Gallery’ series – (working title, ‘Journey of Echoes’), a historical mystery, and a collection of short stories, I am now going to dig out those yellowed journals and transcribe them onto my computer. We’ll see what they decide to become.

P.S. It’s stopped raining. The sun is shining, and we might even get to see that giant moon tonight.

“Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art” Leonardo da Vinci

13 comments on “Getting Back To Work

1. Nisha says:

The reason I love non-fiction so much is because real-life always seems much more interesting to me. I’m so glad you have not forgotten about what seems like an incredible journal and that you are serious about transcribing it.
    I look forward to the final product! 🙂

Wow, I’m impressed that you can work with something from twenty years ago. I have a hard time getting into notes I wrote last month!

🙂 maybe the trick is to work on stuff immediately, or let it sit for a couple of decades!

I think it helps that that time in my life was such an intense life-changing time. Like when you finally figure out that you want to be when you’re grown up – I was in my early 30’s at the time!

3. I’ve also impressed that you made the effort to record that journey in the first place. I look back on some of my great periods of change and can remember only fragments. Keeping a detailed record is a smart move. After all, it’s easier to leave it out than put it in later.

4. clarbojahn says:

I’m proud of you for taking a look on where you were twenty years ago. I do that, too, with my journals. I’ve been so busy living and loving each day recently that it’s been awhile since I have done it though. Maybe this post will get me curious enough to look back again. Type up my journals from way back. Rmrmber I was going to write my memoir and make my journal into public writing as I said in my about page? I haven’t done anything of the kind for months now.

I had been studying a spiritual path that said my past was an illusion and not real. My present is just a dream and an illusion. That only love and Spirit were real. Rmrmber the Course in Miracles? I haven’t been studying that for months now either. So where am I?

I guess things are germinating. I hope so. I hope something comes from nothing. Anyway sorry for this long comment. Maybe I should do a post on it. like you. 🙂

good luck in your endeavors. 🙂

Please don’t apologise for long comments. I love ’em!

Sometimes a bit of a retrospective post is a good way to review where we are on our frog-ly blog-ly journeys

5. Ruth Nestvold says:

Love the title “Journey of Echoes” — it’s gotta be good! 🙂

The Aphra Behn novel I’ve been working on recently (when I’ve had the time … ) is also almost twenty years old. Luckily, I’ve been transferring it over with every new computer, and it isn’t just backed up on some obsolete media! *g*

Today was like summer in central Europe. Hope you get some good weather again soon!

Weather report … today we had bright sunshine, a quick hail shower, (wasn’t long enough to be called a ‘storm’) nasty dark looming clouds, and are now back in bright sunshine, although the temperature hasn’t climbed above ‘brrrrr’. I’m sure than whenever summer does show her face in these parts I’ll have a grumble or two about that as well – after a suitable period of enjoying the warmth.

The wonderfulest part of finding my journals again was that my adventure is divided up into four parts and (some time last century I suspect) I’d only transcribed the first part into my computer. I thought the rest was lost!

6. How’s the transcribing going? I say, “Bravo!”

I have 2 boxes worth of old journals under my desk. Been there a few months, after finally pulling them out of the storage locker where they’d been sitting since we moved down here almost 9 years ago. A random page makes me laugh or cringe or go “well, that’s an idea.” I don’t know if I feel like going through them anymore. I feel more like having a bonfire.

A bonfire! … brave you. I’d be so tempted to read through each and every one, ‘just in case’.

… transcribing is a challenge. I have to hold myself back from editing and rewriting. I am however, making copious quantities of side-notes, and foot-notes, and comments, and stuff highlighted in red to pay attention to later, and, and, everything!

Yay Mrs Widders!

I’ve wanted to toss my journals in the past, and Fernando doesn’t let me. Sometimes when cleaning I’ll come across one… read a couple pages, have a good chuckle… then box it up again.