Boxes, boxes everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

Apologies to Samuel Taylor Coleridge and his Rime of the Ancient Mariner’  for the paraphrasing.

Our little apartment is indeed disappearing under a sea of boxes. We have three weeks ‘til the MOVE, (and yes, it feels like it ought to be in capitals) give or take a few days here and there. We started early because both of us have been through too many moves where everything seemed to collapse into the last packing days available.

I seem to remember, sometime in my wild youth, packing and moving on the same day, in a single load, in a very small car.

Unbelievable! Must’ve been my evil twin … or an alternate reality!

I haven’t had the focus to write either. Whenever I try, my eye slips away from the computer monitor to the nearest half-empty bookshelf, and I say to myself, “Oooo, I know which box that could go into.”

Self groans and gives up trying to write.

In the spirit of honouring the compartments my brain is trying to function within, I give you …

“My guitar is not a thing. It’s an extension of myself. It’s who I am” Joan Jett

15 comments on “Boxes, boxes everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

1. Go on, get a drop…!

2. catdownunder says:

I am an absolute wimp – the thought of packing and moving from here is the stuff of nightmares!

When I left OZ I took with me 2 large suitcases. (and four boxes I’d posted to myself ahead of time which don’t count!) This being a downsize from a three bedroom house, beautiful garden, a car, running my own business, and an ex who was more trouble than she was worth.
      This is our third move since I’ve been here. (and it appears I’ve managed to acquire a lot more stuff than would fit back into those two suitcases and four boxes!) You think it’d get easier!
      Oops … gotta go. One of those boxes is trying to hide.

3. Nisha says:

Oh I love Walk of the Earth!! They are my favourite band!Their version of Party Rock Anthem is also pretty sweet!

Don’t worry about the writing for now, you have other things occupying your mind. Moving can very stressful. So just relax, have a glass of wine and enjoy duct-taping those boxes! 🙂

I can’t remember how I came across them on YouTube, but I loved the sense of the absurd and whimsey that they portray in this video. Glad you liked the video … duct-taping boxes – heh, heh, heh!

4. Ruth Nestvold says:

Definitely alternate reality. Packing and moving in one day is not possible in our universe.

Don’t worry about the writing. Sometimes life happens and a break must be taken. Good luck with the move!

Thanks Ruth … I see myself OTOSOTM (On The Other Side Of The Move) sipping my morning tea as I contemplate the mist shrouded lake, and being inspired to write something magnificent.

5. Packing breakables is the thing I dislike the most. Too bad we can’t just blink things away and into place. 🙂

There’s a certain tension that stays with one until the breakables are unpacked at the other end … Where’s Samantha Stevens when we need her. (the original TV one, not that disaster of a movie one, even though I like Nicole Kidman, she should have gone screaming off in the other direction when they offered her that part)

I’ve moved so much in my life… I got good at it, but also sick of it!

I used to be good at it too, in the first few decades of my life when all my worldly goods fitted into the back of a car!

• Rosanne says:

that he didn’t think we’d stay in this house more than a year- all I could think about was all the packing and ainuckpng that we did a month ago. I may or may not have begged him to let it be more than a year. Heaps of blessings and grace on you and your little guy- may Nemo distract him and Cars keep him from even thinking about ainuckpng your boxes!

7. clarbojahn says:

‘The last time I moved was in 1977 into the house next door. I’m mind blown that soon I’ll be moving back into the apartment…. next door from this house. I’m slowly downsizing already. won’t be necessary for at least another year. When we hear if husb has been accepted into phd program at UVA and we’ll move into student housing which the apt will be stepping stone to.

Thanks for posting all your progress. It’s been fun seeing it from your end.
    good luck