Catchin’ Up

Mrs Widdershins and I, closely monitored by the Widdershins Cat, are moving!

It’s something we’ve talked about off and on for quite a while. The how’s and where’s and when’s of it have contributed to the ‘off and on’ part of our process.

During our courtship era, we discovered that, although born and growing up on opposite sides of the planet, our lives had followed many common threads. One of which is that we’re country gals at heart.

We have found great solace and joy in our little third-floor tree-house apartment in the city. For three years the magnificent Chestnut trees outside our windows have allowed us to breathe when our lives would wind us up so tight, we thought we might break.

Now we are leaving.

We are going to live on an island in the middle of a lake!

Which is not quite as romantic as it sounds, unfortunately. There are others living there in houses of all sorts of shapes and sizes. We will gain an extra bedroom, a yard of our own, and access to the private lake-front beach only 50 meters (yards) away.

We will lose the immediacy of urban living, and our Chestnut trees, and the birds the size of flying meeces who drink from their leaves when it rains.

Did I mention it’s an island, in the middle of a lake?

Packing has commenced and the removalists are booked. (I swore, the last time we moved that we were NOT going to do it ourselves again … slinging furniture, and lots, and lots, and lots of boxes into trucks is a young person’s game)

We are entering a time of transition. I have lived here in Vancouver for nearly eight years and Mrs. Widdershins, for over twenty. Transitions are always troublesome. There’s often a vaccumm between what has gone before and what has not yet arrived. We will be loving and understanding of each other’s stress points, and we will laugh at the absurdities that will inevitably try to trip us up.

It’s time to go.

“Writing is one of the few professions in which you can psychoanalyse yourself, get rid of hostilities and frustrations in public, and get paid for it”Octavia Butler (1947-2006)

23 comments on “Catchin’ Up

1. catdownunder says:

Dear Widdershins Cat – watch out for the humans in your life purrlease. (Yes, moving is stressful.) Oh – and don’t get your paws wet!

Dear Cat. Thank you for your purrs …I think I shall let them be a little laid back about the attention they have to give me … it’s for a good cause.

2. It will be a new & incredible path. What an adventure it will be.

3. The first time I hired someone to move my stuff was one of the wisest decisions I ever made. Professional movers are wonderful folks. I’m excited for you and the Missus. Continued adventures in a new setting that surrounds wonderful. Buena fortuna!

4. An island in the middle of the lake does sound lovely! Transitions aren’t easy, though.

Can you take a chestnut with you and plant new trees to grow?

5. Ruth Nestvold says:

Good luck with the move! I hope the new place is wonderful for you. 🙂

Hi Ruth … Surrounded by not-so-empty boxes now … it’s interesting the things we’re finding when we reach the backs of drawers and cupboards. Things that haven’t seen the light of day since we moved here!

6. s.p.bowers says:

Congrats and condolences. I hope you’re new home will be a wonderful new beginning. A new era of growth and love. And I hope you enjoy it as much as you have your chestnut tree.

7. Eileen says:

How exciting! Good luck with the move! I can highly recommend Island living as I lived on the Island of Bermuda for four years. To listen to a beautiful Island song, google Bermuda is Another World by Hubert Smith. It might ease the stress of all the work involved in preparing for a move!

Thanks Eileen … our little island isn’t a patch on Bermuda. It’s a tiny residential subdivision with a few small farming plots thrown in for good measure … I will listen to the song though. Good music recommendations are always welcome.

I’m all for hiring movers. Not only is it tiring, but tortures your friends and family too.

Happy moving!

9. Congratulations on your big move. Going from city to not-city is a major adjustment.

Living on an island means running out of milk is a Big Deal.

Moving stuff means finding things that are both treasures and trash that must be dealt with even though the purpose of hiding them in the closets and drawers was to avoid dealing with them.

But a new environment, a new way of life, can bring freshness and vitality to perspective in a way that few other things can.

And the Widdershins cat will love having so many island birds to meet.

Living on an island in a lake sounds beautiful. Packing and moving? Not quite as nice. Good luck with getting everything in place and homey.

11. clarbojahn says:

OH! Widder, so glad I caught you before the move. A big deal? no?

We’re talking of moving , too. downsizing now going on. we live in the country now and will move to the city. Charlottesville ,VA. Husb wants to go to UVA. It’ll be 2014 before we move but I’ve been here since 1975 and I have a lot of stuff. Scary, yes?

Keep me posted, OK?

What’s really scary is that when you think you’ve completely emptied a shelf, there’s always one more thing at the back that you missed. I think there’s some nefarious cloning going on!