Still Editing … BRB … Meanwhile …

The Ten Commandments for Reducing Stress

Thou shalt not be perfect, or even try to be.

Thou shalt not try to be all things to all people.

Thou shalt leave things undone that ought to be done.

Thou shalt not spread thyself too thin.

Thou shalt learn to say NO.

Thou shalt schedule time for thyself and for thy support network.

Thou shalt switch off regularly.

Thou shalt be boring, untidy, inelegant and unattractive at times.

Thou shalt not even feel guilty.

Especially, thou shalt not bee thine own worst enemy, but be thy best friend.

“There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are”W. Somerset Maugham

15 comments on “Still Editing … BRB … Meanwhile …

These are all great – especially leaving things undone. I have a hard time with that one. Can I add an eleventh commandment? “Eat more chocolate.”

No? Well, that’s what I usually end up doing 🙂

2. cat says:

Right, now if I could just learn to obey them….

3. Thank. You. For. This.

Seriously. I needed that nudge…. thanks. 🙂

4. clarbojahn says:

“Especially, thou shalt not bee thine own worst enemy, but be thy best friend.” this especially try to obey. I like it the most and it is good for all kinds of occasions not just rewriting.

Sounds like you’re up to here. 🙂
    Keep on trucking 🙂
    good luck!

Yeah, no one gives us a harder time than we give our Selves. I don’t mind it too much, but do I have to do it for the same thing, over and over, and over again!!!

5. I gather editing is causing some stress?!?!

Isn’t it funny how we focus on the act of creation and of producing our work of art for that very first time… how, after the fifth rewrite, the days when it felt shiny and exciting are far behind… how frustrating those little ‘red pen’ comments are…

It’s all worth it when finally someone new, unbiased, with virgin eyes, reads our work of art and says “:WOW!” That day is coming. Eat more chocolate while you wait.

Not stress, exactly. It’s just very, very intense on so many levels. I need to read each word, and then read it again in context with its neighbours, then in the context of the sentence, paragraph chapter, etc … and then make sure I haven’t missed a space deletion … the good news is, it doesn’t have to be perfect, just so damn close that it makes no never mind. 8)

6. London Mabel says:

Ah yes, the space deletion. lolllll I think it’s Word that takes out the space as well, when you delete a word, thankfully.

7. Ah, your list of 10 commandments is perfect timing for me. Thank you. Standing firm at saying “Sorry, no, can’t do it at this time” and not feeling bad about it is one of the toughest ones for me.

I have a wonderful old scruffy card on my desk that says, “Lack of Planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.” It’s helped me so many times to not jump in where angels fear to tread.

8. London Mabel says:

“Lack if Planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.” – Brilliant. Doesn’t mean I still wouldn’t help someone out, but it’s a good reminder.

Comments are closed.