Actors as my Characters

In her blog Damsel in a Dirty Dress, Nicole MacDonald’s posted pics of George Clooney and Pierce Brosnan as potential actors to play one of her main characters. Go ahead and have a squiz (Aussie slang for ‘look’) .. I’ll wait.

What a fabulous idea, I thought at the time. Who would I ideally like to play this character? (Kathy Bates would do just fine) Or that one? (Sara Ramirez – definitely a contender) Or … but then I thought about it some more. Not necessarily a fabulous idea.

Do you remember reading Harry Potter before the movies came out? Do you remember what Hermione, and Ron, and Harry looked like in your minds eye? I had an image of them that would’ve been different to yours and different to everyone else’s. (Of course there were the common elements that JK gave us when she described them, but beyond that we used our imaginations to flesh out the characters)

Then the movies started happening and although I couldn’t see anyone else other than EmmaRupert, and Daniel, playing these three iconic characters, anyone who read the books after the movies came out would never be able to visualize anyone other THAN these three actors as Hermione, Ron, and Harry. And that, to me seems to be the down side of picking actors here on my blog to give impressions of what my characters might look like. So you’re just going to have to use your own imaginations …

… However… I wouldn’t turn down either Kathy or Sara as two of the  … um … lemme count ‘em … seven main characters in Mortal Instinct if it were turned into a screenplay. Who in their right mind would?

Speaking of Mortal Instinct … this is my latest ‘back cover’ synopsis. Someone over at Magical Words asked me what the book was all about and I came up with this on the fly… I think I work rather well under pressure!

“The adventures of three friends who find themselves responsible for a mystical Sphere that has the power to destroy or save the mortal realm. Immortal beings interfere, lovers and ex-lovers intrude, egos and politics get in the way. And, in spite of all these distractions, they have to find time to actually achieve their destiny before the Sphere awakens and decides its own fate.”

“Words to me were magic. You could say a word and it could conjure up all kinds of images or feelings or a chilly sensation or whatever. It was amazing to me that words had this power”Ame Tan

8 comments on “Actors as my Characters

I can’t really makeup imaginary physical people in my head, I don’t know why. So if I’m reading a book they’re always actors, or just sort of amorphous blobs. Which means I don’t really mind if a movie comes out and actors get put into their places for me.

Amorphous blobs … Love it! … I usually only have a vague outline that I hang any of the visuals the author’s given me on… the rest of it goes right by me.

2. Sometimes I can’t get into a story because I have no visual to hold onto as I’m reading. Harry Potter was one of them. David Copperfield, another. It took me 10 years to finally get settled into the visuals of David Copperfield and that was because I finally saw a movie version that appealed to my senses. The tale ended up being among my top favorites.

Your back cover copy is intriguing and inviting. When will it be out?

Well … the official almost firm release date is for 30th June, to coincide with GLBT QPride Parade and Festival here in Vancouver … but so far I’ve got nothing from the publisher other than the head editor has left the building and they’ll spread the work around the other editors… not holding my breath, unfortunately. But on the other hand, who knows what tomorrow may bring!

3. S.P. Bowers says:

I’ve never thought of who I would want to play my characters. I think that because I know and see them I can’t see someone else pretending to be them. The idea is somewhat unsettling, like asking who could pretend to be me. I guess it’s a good thing it’s not likely to be an issue.

‘Tis unsettling … and I don’t think it’s likely to be an issue for me either … if the whole ‘Gallery’ series ever did make it to toe silver screen it’s need something on the scale of ‘Avatar’ to do it justice … just blowing my horn there the tiniest bit!

4. clarbojahn says:

In reading I do use my imagination to “see” the characters. My illustrator for Annie drew a beautiful little girl to go with the book and when she colors it in I might just let you have a peek before it’s published. The pub still is not returning my emails and we don’t have a contract.

Why not put it up on your blog? … As I recall this whole publisher thing has been going on for a while, maybe it’s time to move on and search out another publisher?