Smelling Snow

That nasty Arctic Outflow of very cold air has crawled into bed with a wetter warm front and its snowing again … and I have a head cold. I thought it was my burgeoning allergic-ness to dairy whacking me into an inflamed sinus stupor, but no, it’s a nasty little bug doing a highland fling inside my head (with hob-nailed boots on!)

I looked out from my study window as snow flakes filled the crooks in the branches of the trees and turned the sidewalks white. I could hear the scrunching of the snow as people walked by. I was envious. I love snow, but good sense told me that going out to play with a cold was NOT an acceptable activity…

(You can see where this is going can’t you?)

I scanned my immediate environment. No-one was watching.

As I unsealed the hatch to the balcony, (We closed it off when this snow-stormy weather started) I said to myself, “Self, this is silly. What are you doing!” And Self answered, “I’m going to smell the snow.”

Well … I thought Self had lost it at that point, but after a moment’s consideration I realised Self was right.

So out I went and stood on the light dusting of snow that had blown in under the overhang … and breathed, not too deeply, just in case my head cold was tempted to travel to parts south … and smelled the snow.

… because, sometimes you just have to.

“Cats are smarter than dogs. You can’t get eight cats to pull a sled through snow”Jeff Valdez

12 comments on “Smelling Snow

1. S.P. Bowers says:

I agree, sometimes you just have to. Beautiful post.

Oh, I miss snow so much!

Thanks …. I reckon there’d be a few people who would happily donate some … I saw a photo on the net the other day. It was one of those billboards where people put commentary. It said, “Whoever is praying for snow, please stop.”

2. Even when it’s c-c-c-old outside and the heater is blazing indoors, I crack open a window a bit too wide to get in some fresh air. Hope you’re feeling much better today.

3. clarbojahn says:

LOL. Girl, Your too funny.
    Hope you’re feeling better.

Love that cat quote – I can’t get my cats to do much of anything besides curl up and sleep. (Yeah, I’m just jealous!)

I’m sorry you have a cold, but I am glad that you sneaked out to sniff the snow 🙂

5. I’m envious that you had nasal passages with smelling capacity despite your cold. When I get a cold, it’s like I have a giant I-don’t-want-to-think-about-what in my nose, making it five times life-size and impossible to smell anything.

If you really like the smell of snow, venture across the mountains. We have plenty of it over here!

Um … er … think I’ll take a raincheck, thanks all the same…

…I’m feeling better and back to dealing with the can’t-have-anything-dairy clogged sinuses.

6. kdsulzberger says:

Wonderful post, Widder! There are times when I tire of the upkeep following the latest dusting of snow. But I will never tire of the quiet beauty the flakes bring. Almost surreal, and a wonderful muse for the writing.

Hi there KD … thanks for dropping by …. what’s winter without snow? I guess folks east of here could tell me a thing or two, and hey, now that Spring is almost upon us all that snow is about to melt …. Hm-m, time to look for higher ground!