Size Matters

It all began with a loose power cable to my monitor. For no apparent reason my monitor would suddenly go dark. Heart-stopping the first time it happened, but after that I got used to it and adapted accordingly. It was one of those things where I’d give it a bit of a nudge and all was as it had been… for a while.

A gazillion more blank screens later and I knew the time had come.

Take the thing out the back and shoot it!

My new monitor arrived, all shiny and styrofoamed and plastic-wrapped to within an inch of its matte black finish.

We plugged it in … and … actually we couldn’t plug it in. My tower didn’t have the right doohickey for the monitor cable to plug into. Mrs Widds and I re-styrofoamed the monitor, (‘cos it was late and we ‘d had a long day) and put in a call to #1 Widder-son-in-Law who is our go-to bloke for all things tek-er-nickel when we can’t figure it out ourselves. (every household should have one)

We had our ‘D’oh!’ moment when he suggested we use the old monitor cable, ‘cos the new monitor had the correct doohickey for that cable … P.S. It’s the same keyboard in both pictures!

17" ... thanks for the memories

17″ … thanks for the memories

27" ... EMEGHERD!

27″ … EMEGHERD!

About these ads

14 comments on “Size Matters

1. Sometimes you just can’t think straight.

That’s when I know I need to go take a nap, or to bed. It is a tough decision because it’s always made with a brain too tired to make decisions.

I find it helps to solve the problem separately from the real world: I get out a sheet of scratch paper and work all the steps out of my head and onto paper (where they stop jockeying for position). Usually the order or the solution becomes more apparent that way.

Which reminds me – I promised myself I’d go to bed when the timer went off – so congrats on your new monitor, and goodnight.

Yeah, it’s time to get to bed when we get ‘cranky’ with each other. And throw in dealing with unfamiliar tech? A recipe for cranky-overload.

The new monitor is fabulous. I can work on two full-size documents at once. Sheer bliss. :D

2. catdownunder says:

BIG!

3. S.P.Bowers says:

Ooo! Size does matter. And when you upgrade to a dual monitor system it gets even better!
    Hope you enjoy the new monitor!

We fixed the wonky cable on the 17″ and Mrs Widds uses it as her second monitor when she works remotely from home. If I get another monitor, I’ll need a bigger desk. If I get a bigger desk we’ll need a bigger space … and on it goes. Talk about your domino effect!

Haha, familial tech support is a good thing (but if my brother is any indication, it can have the unpleasant side effect of being the source of merciless teasing at family gatherings :) )

Love the new monitor. I remember when 17″ was HUGE…. not so much now!

I know! I went from a 12″ to the 17″ one and thought I was in writer heaven.

The fact that he’s a son breaks that dynamic, although he does get a few words in, here and there.

Ooh, pretty! Shiny!

Congrats on the new monitor, and I’m glad the cable was such an easy solution. :)

6. Wowza! Look at the size of that monitor. Better to play the games with, I see.

Thank goodness, the simple solution was the answer for your tech problem.

I like the box of kleenex, as the old monitor gets a proper send off.

Comments are closed.