Ferret Fun

This is too much cyootness in one place!

When I was a wee thing growing up in the Aussie bush, a depression reduced our family income to virtually nothing. Perhaps the pollies called it a recession. All I knew was that food was .. not exactly scarce, but it seemed there was never quite enough to go round the table more than once …  and my father was away a lot.

After a while he was home all the time, and things became extra tense between my parents. One day he built a long cage out of overlapped chicken wire and rough timber. When I stood on tiptoe my nose scarcely reached the bottom of it, and it towered over me like a great mysterious thing, that needed to be explored. Suddenly, a ball of orange fur with two little brown eyes and a black nose appeared right on the other side of the wire, batted me on the nose and disappeared underneath a pile of old rags and newspapers at the other end of the cage.

My father had very strong opinions of what little girls should be interested in, and ferrets wasn’t one of them, so I never saw the ferret again, (and learned another lesson in keeping secrets) but every time we had rabbit for dinner, I thanked my little ferret-y friend.

About these ads

18 comments on “Ferret Fun

1. That gave a nice laugh this morning. Never had ferrets – they look like constant trouble-makers. Does Widdercat need a playmate? Thanks for sharing that.

The do look like trouble don’t they? :D … Widdercats favourite activity is sleeping. She’s 20 so I suppose that’s OK … and she doesn’t tolerate any other critters in her domain.

2. fromcouchtomoon says:

I’ve never heard of this. Do ferrets attract rabbits?

Ferrets are carnivores, and very efficient hunters. The ones we had weren’t cute and cuddly like the ones in the video. They were undomesticated and ferocious. How it works is they are put down rabbit burrows to flush them out into cages that have been set at all the burrow exits. You can guess the rest. Brutal, I know, and not something I condoned from the minute I understood exactly what was happening, but a child’s protest didn’t go very far to changing things.

3. catdownunder says:

There is a teenage lad around here who has a pet ferret. It goes everywhere with him when he’s not at school. Can’t say it appeals to me but the two are very bonded!

4. I hope that a few times, the Ferret was able to get a rabbit of his own to eat.
    May you have an abundance of what you need to eat and to live, Widdershins! Thanks for the science lesson.

…Never Give Up, Joan Y. Edwards

Cute video! I didn’t know ferrets would flush rabbits out until I read your comment.

I’ve never owned a ferret, but I had a friend in high school whose younger brother had one. The ferret loved to pop out from in between the couch cushions and scare us…or sneak out from under the couch and nibble the backs of our ankles.

6. Wow, interesting background on ferrets! It baffles the mind that they chase creatures bigger than they are. But I guess if there are enough of them …

They’re ferocious predators and relentless hunters, and bunnies are a perfect food source. Size doesn’t matter in this instance. I reckon they all think they’re jaguars or something! :D

7. Ferrets are brilliant! We don’t have wild ferrets around our house, but we have little short-tailed weasels, and mink, and fishers. They’re fascinating to watch, and their size makes it hard to remember exactly how carnivorous they are. When the mice come to visit our house, I’m always tempted to invite the weasels in as well.

8. Jeff Hargett says:

I kept expecting to see Sheldon’s head pop up and yell “Bazinga!” :)

Comments are closed.