Coming Back To Zero – The Convoluted Path to Starting a Project

FallI actually woke up with some energy this morning. I was so shocked I had to lay down and rest for half an hour!

A while ago I decided to use this years NaNoWriMo to kick my brain/Muse/typing skillz, back into high gear, then, last week I get news that my radiation therapy is scheduled for the first week of … you guessed it … November!

I won’t be able to go anywhere near short people, pregnant people and four-legged people for about two weeks, or touch anything that isn’t disposable or washable. I don’t think my keyboard is included in either of those categories, but pen and paper might.

This reduces my NaNo time down to two weeks-ish and a daily word count of 3500. I’ll be working on Book 2 of my ‘Gallery’ series with the plan that it’ll be ready for me to self-publish along with Book 1 when I get the rights to it back from my publisher. (no pressure, right?)

So, all this is a convoluted reference to the topic at hand. The things we have to clear out of the way just to get to the starting line, which I call, getting back to zero.

Sometimes it’s something as simple as wanting to go for a walk in this chilly Autumn afternoon. first I have to stick my nose out of my Hobbit House in order to determine how many layers to put on, find my shoes, keys, notepad and pen in case I get an ‘idea.’ etc, etc, just to get back to zero – walking out the door.

The same with writing. Because of the reduced time-frame I need to really get my outline nice and tight, check out all the shinies on the NaNo website – I’m ‘Widder’ if you’re playing there this year – then get through the fun time that is my radiation treatment (it’s called an ‘ablation’ for reasons that are unfathomable).

Yep, November’s looking like a walk in the park, once I get back to zero.

“Two fundamental literary qualities: supernaturalism and irony”Charles Baudelaire,   1821 – 1867, poet, essayist, art critic, and translator of Edgar Allen Poe into French

And a bonus … I came across this via the WPBeginner blog … how to add maps to your blog.

P.S. Does anyone else think of Robin Williams as Mork fromMork and Mindy whenever they say ‘NaNo’ out loud?

About these ads

18 comments on “Coming Back To Zero – The Convoluted Path to Starting a Project

1. All my available digits are crossed for you, Widder.
    I decided not to commit to NaNo, though I was thinking of using it to work on my dissertation writing. Perhaps I should commit…no, not committal right now.

2. szegerton says:

Your friends, even distant online ones, will be sending goodwill through the ether, Widdershins. Good to have the NaNo project to test you in a different way – let us know how it went , after submitting! We’ll also be looking out for a blog on how you’re feeling post therapy. Here – have a virtual hug. o! And yes, of course I think of Mork!

Getting back to zero. That’s a good way to think of it.

What becomes of Widdercat while you’re doing this regimen?

Good luck with NaNo. I’ll be cheering you on, even though I’m giving this year a pass.

Oh, Widdercat is going to be seriously pissed at me :( … and really confused. Thankfully the heavy duty isolation stuff will only be for about three days, although seeing as she is so old (don’t tell her I said that – I’d get a severe frowning) it’ll be a couple of days more before we can get into our usual usual cuddle quota.

Thanks for the cheers.

4. NaNo=Mork in my mind. Ablation sounds like water and flooding is involved. Put a rainbow to it and a pot of gold, and it sounds even better. Nothing like the challenge of finding the order of words in chaos to form the story that it is to be. Hugs to you and your November adventure. :-)

5. Oh, shoot, and here are some virtual *hugs* — here’s hoping you come out of therapy fully energized from all the radiation! (Or not .. but it does sound like a great SF plot, no?)

However Nano works out for you, I hope it at least kicks your brain/Muse/typing skillz back into high gear. :)

Thanks Ruth :D … I actually had this fascinating thought a while back … apparently cancer cells are immortal, not that they can’t be killed, but left to their own devices they never die. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if they could be manipulated on a DNA/RNA level to be impervious to cosmic/solar radiation and thus allow ‘modified’ humans to journey into and live in space without all that bulky shielding. I have some story ideas floating around in that ‘universe’ that I might just get to some day soon … after NaNo!

Your November sounds absolutely harrowing! I hope the treatment goes well and that you’re still able to meet your NaNoWriMo writing goal. (Oh, and NaNo – totally Mork :))

Maybe you can steal widdercat one of those led vests from the dental office.

Hehe … absolutely … either that of the space suit Sandra Bullock wore on ‘Gravity’. Have you seen it yet? One helluva movie experience, and definitely worth watching in 3D

8. jamieayres says:

Fingers crossed for you . . . P.S. ‘convoluted’ is one of my favorite words! Describes my thinking perfectly :-)