Fall Arrives

FallSuddenly, it’s Autumn.

Yesterday some of the folk on our lane had a yard sale. The sun put on its best bib-and-tucker and a glorious time was had by all. Yesterday it was ‘officially’ still Summer. This morning widderlake had disappeared into the mists, (of Avalon perhaps?) and the first geese honked overhead on their way to greener pastures to the south. (Hello Washington)

I looked out my writing window this afternoon and all the trees were shivering in the strong wind that’s blowing all sorts of storm clouds and rain up from the South. (Hello Washington) It reminded me of this song. Winter is coming.

Annie is like an excellent wine, simply superb.

“Whatever you do, you do out of a passion”Annie Lennox, sinter-songwriter, political activist, philanthropist

About these ads

11 comments on “Fall Arrives

1. catdownunder says:

And here we have a north wind which means the weather is going to change from unseasonably warm back to cool again! Wind knocked out most of the blossom unfortunately but give it a month and the jacaranda will be flowering again.

I think ‘unseasonable’ is a word that is going to become extinct in the coming decades … may your jacarandas bloom all summer long.

• mikerol says:

It is snowing not only in Fairbanks and Anchorage but might in the hills here in Seattle tomorrow night. Looking forward to what we call “Indian Summer” – the real one is already long forgotten except by my very tanned face.

2. mikerol says:

The geese never leave here. However, the past several weekends we finally had some rain and some new green shot up and they came to graze, the flocks of them. but fall is definitely here, the customary north-west fllow of air followed this weekends rain.
    . x m.r

It’s coolish here, nice early fall weather. Love it. The heat here is oppressive with the humidity, but fall, my brain feels awake and alert, and I feel more possibilities, even as my time gets eaten up by family commitments.

I noticed the first cyclamen blossoms this past week, hiding under the gaudy goldenrod. Dogwood trees have been blushing into autumn for a while now. Geese call, but they’re in no hurry, and I know we won’t be getting any frost yet. About the only sign we don’t have is an efflux of tourists, as we’re not really a summer destination.

Hope you have a blessed season, Widder.

• mikerol says:

By tomorrow nite it will be nearly freezing! a very sudden change of season here!

The summer holiday crowd disappeared from the island after Labour Day and won’t be seen again until next summer. I don’t mind them, but it seemed like they multiplied during the winter … some sort of cellular division I reckon.

I like the onset of fall. Not only are the leaves gorgeous, but the cooler mornings are a refreshing change from the warmness of summer. It does seem to change rather suddenly, though :)

• mikerol says:

I lived in the small town of Mulege in Baja Sur, Mexico, from 1991 to 1994, and it was a steam bath from about March through the end of September when something called “El Norte” barreled down the Sea of Cortez, starting at the estuary of the Colorado River, and cleared out the steam all the way to he Cabos – indeed, what a relief, especially for the Norte Americanos who never got used to being slowboiled, no matter that I looked like a baked potato!

One blink, it seems, and thar’ she goes!

Comments are closed.