Asteroids

Widdershins MaskToday I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a planet from bits and pieces of cosmic debris for a new novel I’m beginning. I want something elegant, but it appears I must use brute force to achieve it. (and a generous helping of sci-fi wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, flim-flam)

When you think about it, brute force is creating all those beautiful visions of our universe, which from our mortal perspective, are truly the most elegant things ever.

So, I’m going to slam a bunch of asteroids together and see what happens.

Dust, like stars.

“C-3PO: Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1”- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

First it was the music industry, then the publishing behemoth crumbled, now, at last, it’s TV’s turn!

About these ads

10 comments on “Asteroids

“Never tell me the odds!”

Have fun with your asteroids. (Can’t help thinking of the early Atari videogame, wherein I invariably plowed my ship into an asteroid.)

All ‘odds’ come down to one ratio – 50:50 … we either will or we won’t … win the lottery, get the job, dodge a bullet, stub our toe, etc.

I remember that game … I was never good at it either … way too many things to pay attention to … and now, I’d probably ace it, just because of all the ‘game’ training I’ve had since then … not that I use up a lot of my time playing computer games. *blinks innocently*

2. W. R. Woolf says:

Oh it would be great, if one could just find a large handful of large rocks, smash them together and make a good novel pop out ;)

Sorry…I’m no help with planet formation. I’m sure you’ll come up with something!

4. catdownunder says:

Asteroids are unpredictable!

5. I always have to research everything from scratch, it sometimes feels like. Have fun! *evil grin*

Great talk by Kevin Spacey – “it’s just story” – excellent. :)

Yeah … and then there’s the bits you have to make up, and hope they sound ‘science-y’ enough.

I tried to find the complete version of Kevin’s talk but to no avail … will just have to watch this edited version until it’s embedded in my brain for all eternity.