Summertime on Widder Island

A breezy Summer time on Widderlake

A breezy Summer time on Widderlake

A bucolic scene of domestic writerly bliss – WidderCat snoozing in Widder’s arms as she attempts to answer emails, comment on blogs, make tea, write, etc, one-handed.

Time passes and Widder’s arm gets tired. WidderCat sleeps on, occasionally flexing her claws.

Then, WidderCat, long gone from cuddles, suddenly reappears, sniffing around the shelves to the immediate left of Widder where all the computer cables are.

Widder looks at WidderCat suspiciously.

WidderCat peers at dark under-shelf spaces suspiciously.

WidderCat has not exhibited this behaviour for quite some time.

… A black small-rodent sized critter streaks under the computer desk, millimeters from Widders naked toes, closely followed by WidderCat.

Widder thinks, RAT!!!!! … recovers her composure and rushes to shut WidderCat in the bedroom – the last thing she needs is a really, really, terrified black small-rodent sized critter being chased around the house by a vengeful cat.

She uses her blackboard (storyboard – 900mmx600mm – roughly 3’x4’) and other flat objects to block access to kitchen (and the rest of the house – ‘cos the last thing she needs is to be chasing a black small-rodent sized critter around the house) and starts moving objects to encourage black small-rodent sized critter to head toward the open front door.

Black small-rodent sized critter seizes it’s moment and bolts out the front door, skitters around the side of the house and vows never to return.

WidderCat is released from her incarceration and remains in ‘search and destroy’ mode until nap-time. (she is 93 after all)

I noticed early on the black small-rodent sized critter was a half grown squirrel, but revealing that would’ve spoiled a good story.

“… thus it stands to reason that there are many benefits to being able to circle a branch at lightning speed” - Squirrel Medicine, from Jamie Sams,  Medicine Cards.

About these ads

20 comments on “Summertime on Widder Island

1. catdownunder says:

Miaou!

Black squirrels? Never seen one! Great story.

And I love the photo — gorgeous view.

We’ve got black ones and grey ones. The black ones are a little smaller that the grey – just as cheeky though!

Mrs Widds and I often sit on that bench of an evening with our tea and chat share our day.
      It has a history all of its own. A year before we moved here, a young woman, on a boat on the lake slipped, hit her head and drowned. Very sad. Friends of hers decided they wanted a memorial to her and had the bench installed. Last summer they had a big party/wake to celebrate her and the bench. There’s a tiny rosebush next to the bench that we feed and mulch and generally take care of.

• Erin says:

What a lovely memorial for a tragic accident. Although maybe a touch macabre. If a friend of mine died, I don’t know that I’d want to sit there and stare at the spot all the time.

3. Widdershins says:

I know what you mean …not sure if I could do it either. Too many ‘ghosts’ … I don’t know much about the history but I don’t think she was from the island and our little piece of waterfront was simply where the accident happened so the bench doesn’t get a lot of ‘friend/family’ visits.
    It’s mostly us in-our-prime types who use it. The younger things hang out on the beach or the dock.
    Although, with summer holidays coming up and the seasonal residents returning, I’m guessing there’ll be some stiff competition for the prime picnic spots.

4. *Chuckle*

And I *love* the picture of your lake! :)

5. Very nimble thou art. I’m still shuddering imagining the rat going over my toesies. shudder.
    I’m glad the rat went out the door.

Very nimble indeed! … It would’ve been a whole lot higher on the ‘squick’ scale if it’be really been a rat … squirrels are much more endearing!

Well a squirrel changes things :) A rat in the house? Oh, no way, I’m outta there. Squirrels are at least a little cute :) Glad that one escaped WidderCat. I always get nervous when the cats get in stalk mode because I have no idea what they see that I don’t :)

P.S. Gorgeous view, by the way. Sad story about that bench, though.

Please convey my condolences to Widdercat.

8. Dear Widdershins,
    What a fun story! How nice of you to save the “Rat” from an untimely death.

I love your sense of humor. Thanks for sharing.

Celebrate you.
    Never Give Up
    Joan Y. Edwards

9. Diana Beebe says:

Herding small rodents (no matter what the type) is an exercise in agility and strategy! Did your cat talk to you much after you thwarted her chase? LOL I’m glad it worked out for you and the squirrel.

Comments are closed.